Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your most under-rated pedal?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• The Dr Scientist Frazz Dazzler is a hugely underrated fuzz pedal. I've still got one and keep trying to sell it because I barely use fuzz, but hasn't sold yet, and that surprises me. It sounds huge (tremendous bass end), the sizzle control is great and you can blend in the dry/wet signal. Great pedal. But if it continues to be this underrated, I may have to remove it from the forum and keep it forever :) 

Folks may be holding out for the V2 (which looks glorious), but a definite +1 on the original. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peaches said:

The Dr Scientist Frazz Dazzler is a hugely underrated fuzz pedal. I've still got one and keep trying to sell it because I barely use fuzz, but hasn't sold yet, and that surprises me. It sounds huge (tremendous bass end), the sizzle control is great and you can blend in the dry/wet signal. Great pedal. But if it continues to be this underrated, I may have to remove it from the forum and keep it forever :) 

Folks may be holding out for the V2 (which looks glorious), but a definite +1 on the original. 

Ah, is that the one with the second footswitch? That's as much as I've heard.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    peaches said:

you receive the added bonus of not having a pre-school drawing of a guitar wielding gorilla on your pedal, or having it decorated with the words "super", "hard" or "on".
    I fail to see the downside to either of those things. Erect gorillas are totally welcome and in fact preferred on all of my pedals. 
    I'm glad somebody said it!
  • bbill335 said:
    peaches said:

you receive the added bonus of not having a pre-school drawing of a guitar wielding gorilla on your pedal, or having it decorated with the words "super", "hard" or "on".
    I fail to see the downside to either of those things. Erect gorillas are totally welcome and in fact preferred on all of my pedals. 
    I'm glad somebody said it!
    Still a great pedal, aroused primates not withstanding. 
  • Vox Delaylab - it's ugly as sin, the size of a tank and you can't tap tempo in bypass but I can't really find anything that does the same stuff.

Three presets per bank with good sounding delays. Also has a fantastic "SPACE" delay which I use all the time (repeats have a fully wet reverb on them), octave up and down shimmer, a reverse delay where you can mix between normal and reverse and a "MODE 7" sound too
  • Voxman said:
     I've owned a DSL 201 and a first series Valvestate (which didn't contain a valve, but the drive channel was a Guv'nor style type circuit - two LEDs clipping an opamp output). 
    All valvestates had a valve in the gain channel...that's why they were called Valvestates.  I still have my mk1 8080 80v, and there is definitely a 12AX7/ECC83 in there! I bought mine new in 1991 when they first came out.  If your Marshall didn't have a valve, then it wasn't a valvestate. 

It didn't have a valve, and it was a Valvestate. The 8010 and 8020 didn't have a valve.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Voxman said:
     I've owned a DSL 201 and a first series Valvestate (which didn't contain a valve, but the drive channel was a Guv'nor style type circuit - two LEDs clipping an opamp output). 
    All valvestates had a valve in the gain channel...that's why they were called Valvestates.  I still have my mk1 8080 80v, and there is definitely a 12AX7/ECC83 in there! I bought mine new in 1991 when they first came out.  If your Marshall didn't have a valve, then it wasn't a valvestate. 

It didn't have a valve, and it was a Valvestate. The 8010 and 8020 didn't have a valve.
    Umm yeah, I know... that was all sorted on 12 Feb  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Flyrig 5.

I'm a minimal pedals guy and nearly sold this because I thought when push comes to shove I preferred to cover the same territory with a couple of dirt pedals and a delay.

But it's just so convenient.  Weighs next to nothing and fits easily in a gig bag.  One plug.  I've used it for home recording and straight to desk recording with great results.

At a rehearsal the Sansamp stage gives me excellent Fenderish cleans and a touch of reverb even out of the tiredest cheapo rehearsal studio amp.  Then I can preset for 3 different levels of dirt and a boost and as much delay as I could possibly want.

On a gig it's a back up amp if something goes wrong with my amp. Hopefully that's just insurance, but good to know.

I still think for most gigs I'd take my Amp 11, BB Preamp and either my M9 or Flashback delay but the more I use the Flyrig the closer I might be getting to the point where I think, what the hell this is all I need.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:

Umm yeah, I know... that was all sorted on 12 Feb  ;)
    Must. Read. Before. Replying. :)

As you were...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited February 2017
    +1 for the GV2, used one into a HRDx as my main dirty tone for a few years. 

LPB1 is a great lead booster. Better than a tubescreamer in front of a dirty amp imo. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    The Zoom Hyper Lead. 
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36
    Egnater Goldsmith - good range of gain and EQ, plus footswitchable boost that can be switched between pre or post drive
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe ........Have had/used every vibe going from Drybell / TC/ Fulltone/ Voodoo Labs etc and this cheap ,oddly shaped and unfashionable brand has a better sound than any of them.IMO.
    It is a real secret sleeper.
     One slightly annoying fact is the slight volume jump it creates when switched on but that can be cheaply and easily modded.
    It does not produce the "tinny" brittle highs that most expensive others do,it does not have the annoying whoosh sweep or white noise throb that comes through the amp etc.
     It does have a blend knob for wet/dry sound which takes the edge off the over obvious sweep and plenty of range .
    It has a unique sound with a bit of phaser swirl thrown in .
    £25 on the secondhand market ..........take a punt for the cost of 2 pizzas ,set aside brand pre-conception and i WILL BET IT ENDS UP AS A KEEPER.
  • MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited February 2017
    Ive never seen anyone else use one but I use my HAO rust booster all the time and when pushed with a tube screamer it is the best drive sound I have on my board, and I have a lot on there!
  • Mad Professor Bluebird, great OD and subtle delay in a single stompbox
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited February 2017
    Behringer SF300 is a fantastic Maestro Fuzz clone - definitely Electric Wizard in a pedal, only getting shot of mine thanks to the Carcosa.
    Isn't it a Boss FZ-2 clone which in turn is based off the Univox Superfuzz?

I just got a Carcosa and it's bloody brilliant from what I've tried of it so far. Definitely knocking the Fuzz War clone off my board! Does all those tones and more. Its such a versatile pedal and great value for money.
  • Sansamp GT2 1996 owned from new. A DLS MKIII ,Thorpy Gunshot and SL Drive haven't bettered it for a MIAB (inc spkr sim). Yes it's a bit noisy and not really designed as an OD/Dist pedal but it sounds good and can be tweaked to achieve a huge range of sounds.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    Palmer Solid Metal for me...there was one on EBay recently for £29 and I was tempted to get a spare :)