Peavey Classic 50 2x12?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
Loving the sound this guy gets with his Peavey Classic 50 2x12 with his 2016 R8.

How are these amps after the move to China for manufacturing? Anyone using one?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm not using one but that tone is fantastic 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I gigged one for several years in a alt/punk band (foo fighter, green day type) and it was great. Use to eat EL84's but it never let me down. I've still got it actually and give it a blast now and again. I got it when I couldn't be arsed to cart around my jcm800 half stack anymore. I had a nice crunch and could get into metal territory with a boost up front, it use to take pedals well.

Mine is a US made one and I have no experience of the Chinese ones. You can pick a US one up for around £300 second hand anyway.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72342
    I've not seen a Chinese one yet. The USA ones are very good, much better than the Classic 30.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited February 2017
    I read that they made a few mods to the circuit when moving manufacture to China to improve reliability and lower the noice floor.

• My friend had one, probably a US one. The drummer in his blues band ran a music shop that was a Peavey dealership  and he went through almost everything in the range, the bassist had a Peavey amp, they had Peavey PA. 
    IIRC his issue was that it was one of those amps you need to push a bit to find the sweet spot and outside of that a bit bland. This wasn't always practical and he ended up with a Fender HRD which he found a bit more flexible. 
    This is my mate with one leg so he doesn't do pedal platform amps! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBM said:
    I've not seen a Chinese one yet. The USA ones are very good, much better than the Classic 30.
    I owned a Us classic 30 once, pile of junk it was. A guy I know has a c50 and it sounds great.
    Telejester said:

I owned a Us classic 30 once, pile of junk it was. A guy I know has a c50 and it sounds great.
    They're totally different amps really. The C30 is really quite overrated in my opinion, in fact it's probably my least favourite Peavey, and I generally like their amps. The C50 is a good amp.

A bit like the difference between a Blues Junior and a Hotrod Deluxe...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Telejester said:

They're totally different amps really. The C30 is really quite overrated in my opinion, in fact it's probably my least favourite Peavey, and I generally like their amps. The C50 is a good amp.

A bit like the difference between a Blues Junior and a Hotrod Deluxe...
    The c30 is colder and harsher than a Teresa may smile, nothing apart from setting it on fire could introduce any warmth.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited February 2017
    A friend of mine who I used to be in a band with (clips on you tube) had a Peavey Classic 50 4x10 that weighed an absolute ton.  

It sounded pretty good and it w5as loud but I don't think the stock speakers really showed the amp at its best.  

The 2x12 is definitely more manageable and also sounds good.  These can be found fairly easily now for around £300 on EBay or maybe even a bit less.

Its interesting that because more and more players are looking to simplify and reduce the weight of their rigs with small amps or mfx units, the demand and thus used prices for amps like this have fallen significantly.  The new price of a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 is around £1,000.  But why on earth would you spend £1,000 when you can buy a used one for £300.  Even if you had a service, replaced the valves and upgraded the speakers, the most its going to cost you is around £600 in total, or maybe £500-550 if you buy used speakers.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Loving the sound this guy gets with his Peavey Classic 50 2x12 with his 2016 R8.

How are these amps after the move to China for manufacturing? Anyone using one?

Wow, Mclovin's tone is awesome
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Wasn't Nile Rogers using one live for a time?
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    I don't think so, he had two Peavey Classic combos given to him by SRV but despite having the same name they are different amps. He's used two Fenders live since he started gigging again. 
    The Nile Rodgers ones are prototypes of the 4x10" version, but as far as I know otherwise the same. He does use Hotrod Devilles now though.

• TimmyO said:
    I don't think so, he had two Peavey Classic combos given to him by SRV but despite having the same name they are different amps. He's used two Fenders live since he started gigging again. 
    ICBM said:
    The Nile Rodgers ones are prototypes of the 4x10" version, but as far as I know otherwise the same. He does use Hotrod Devilles now though.
    Sorry, that's a better answer  :3 Nile was given his by SRV ( who had been given a few by Peavey, I've never heard of his other ones popping up anywhere) during the making of Family Style which would have been in 1989. According to the Peavey website the new Classic series ( they'd used the name before) were launched in 1991 so they were almost certainly prototypes and not production models. Although he used them for a long time after he changed over to Fenders at least a few years ago. 
    Yes, I thought originally from the dates that they must have been the older Classic (not 50) which is a 2x12" hybrid combo - but having seen some video of him around that time they are clearly the later Classic 50 4x10"s.

• See, I quite like my Classic 30 head, with a Rat in front of it, for punk/heavy alt rock.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Fabulous tone captured in that vid from the Peavey Classic 50 2x12.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)