Deluxe Reverb and 16ohm speakers.

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
Looks like I'm getting a Deluxe Reverb head in the next few days. I notice the preferred speaker impedance is 8ohm. 

Both my cabs are 16ohm. Would it cause a problem running it into a 16ohm load? Looking on "other forums" opinion seems divided. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Actually there are plenty of people who run a DR with a 16 ohm speaker as the reflected impedance will be more "correct" when using a 16 ohm speaker, so this is fine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    jpfamps said:

Actually there are plenty of people who run a DR with a 16 ohm speaker as the reflected impedance will be more "correct" when using a 16 ohm speaker, so this is fine.

Does it stress the power valves somewhat more though?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72343
    No, less. For some reason the Deluxe Reverb was made with the OT ratio wrong for 6V6s and an 8-ohm speaker. As jpfamps says, running a 16-ohm speaker is actually a *better* match.

My belief is that the amp was originally intended for 6L6s - the ratio is close to correct for those, with an 8-ohm speaker - but Fender then realised the cheaper 6V6s would do the job.

It's also interesting that the "characteristic 6V6 sound" which most people think of is the Deluxe, but that famous 'flubby' tone is as much to do with the impedance mismatch as the valves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Okay, great! Thanks @jpfamps and @ICBM ;