Greg Kock Skype lessons

What's Hot
Hey guys, 

Has anyone ever had one of these? There seem to be $100 for an hour! Which is £80.

Which is obviously expensive but for a teacher like him, it could be worth it!

I'm really in Jimi Hendrix mode, and I'm basically just learning lots of Jimi Hendrix songs at the moment. I thought if I got a lesson Skype lesson from Greg I would ask him to show me lots of cool chord progressions with Hendrix fills and ideas in them. It seems like that's a really natural thing for him and something I'd like to know more about. And this kind of stuff would be a good companion to me learning all of the songs! 

I wouldn't mind doing one every month or so (if he even has time for that) ... It would probably benefit me a lot more than buying some new pedals!

However, this brings me to my next question ... are there are teachers from the UK you would recommend for that type of thing? I imagine they'd be cheaper! The appeal of Greg Koch is that he's obviously a master of that style, but I'm sure there are plenty of other masters around who are amazing teachers and charge less than £80 an hour.

Just looking to see what you think really!

Thanks.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think that's quite cheap for a personalised Skype lesson.  I know of another, non UK based guitarist, who charges €150 an hour for Skype lessons.  He's good, but not Greg Koch good.   I've seen other famous US based guitarists charge $150 - $200 an hour so I think you should go for it.  
  • didnt a certain youtube celebrity charge waaaaaaaaaaaaay over £80 only a handful of years back. I think there are people on here who received Skype lessons (or maybe lessons in person?) 

TBH if i could afford it id happily pay eight hundred for an hour of Greg Koch's time and knowledge
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    I don't think you need Greg K to teach you those - if you know your caged shapes and the inversions you can widdle around and find all those little fills .........if you play little wing and Wind cries Mary most of them are in there .You just need to apply them in different keys/positions until you find you do it automatically .
     I think to benefit from that type of Maestro teacher is when you are already more than proficient with all that sort of thing and want to perfect technique and minor detail ........with respect ,it's a bit like hiring Lewis Hamilton to show you how to do a 3 point turn .........you don't need him until you want to learn how to cut two tenths of a second off your lap-time when you are already putting in average times of 146 mph laps .................if that's a fair analogy !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I'm a huge Koch fan but I don't think of him as being a Hendrix master lick cloner. I mean I know he can certainly do all that stuff and ape just about anyone he wants to but the most inventive and coolest playing style he does is his own. That's what I would be wanting to pay the dough for .... how to get as inventive as he is.

@Dominic is on the money there as well .... most of that stuff is in those two songs and easily picked up 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it!

Yeah I definitely don't need Greg Koch's ability to help me! Hah I do get what you're saying about the 3 point turn, but I would like a 'teacher' and thought he might be a good route to go down. 

I probably didn't explain myself properly in my first post ...

I can play Little Wing, Wind Cries Mary, Bold as Love, Castles Made of Sand ... That's where, like you said, I got the fills from! But I thought Greg could help me take those fills and ideas and start doing more interesting things and show me lots of little tricks. At the moment all I really do with them is take some chord progressions and mess around using the fills and inversions from those songs ... I'm sure Greg could show me how to take it further and add in some of his own style like you said @Danny1969 ... I know he's not a Hendrix cloner and is much much more but I've watched videos where he's taught Hendrix style licks and tricks and it seems like this is a style where he would literally know everything there is to know!

I might see how I carry on and see how I feel in a week or so! 

Thanks guys. 
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    just cos he plays at break-neck speed doesn't equate to good teacher. Also - he makes too many (unfunny) japes which take up valuable time...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I'd go for it and try a lesson.  The most important thing is that you like him/what he does and he inspires you (and me btw).  I think this enables you to engage with the lesson(s) at a more profound level and get more out of them/learn more rather than looking for another teacher because they might be a bit cheaper.  Also sounds from above that his rates aren't too bad either.
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited February 2017
    @57Deluxe ;;

none of those things mean that he won't be a good teacher either...
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    I'd recommend https://www.guitarinstructor.com/

Greg has some Hendrixian clips on there as well as many many other teachers talking about some really great topics and access to a positive cornucopia of Hal Leonard transcriptions. 

All for less than a tenner a month makes it a no brainer for me. It's a bit frustrating when licensing restrictions mean we in the UK don't get certain transcriptions or clips but there's more than enough to make it worth the money.

Having said that, there's no substitute for a proper one to one lesson with an experienced teacher. You would probably be surprised at the level of tuition available in your local area for a lot less than £80 an hour. If you're set on the idea of a lesson, then I definitely advise popping into your local music store and asking about local teachers. Explain your situation and ask if there's anyone they would recommend. 

Remember, most teachers are regulars in their local music store and build a good relationship with them. Likewise yourself, I imagine you've been in there a fair few times and they would probably be able to suggest a good match for you. 

Let us know how you get on!
  • pootlepootle Frets: 9
    I know a guy that did this and he really enjoyed it.  Bit of back and forward "get to know you" stuff, some really funny stories and then some lick/riff/technique training, said it was one of the best experiences he had had and still raves about it.

If this man inspires you in his playing, and you feel you could learn from a hour or two of his time, and you are prepared to put the money into it, then whats to say you won't enjoy it and learn from it.

Technically he is one of the best out there, he has massive song library seemingly at his fingers, and he's a hoot on the videos, as afar as I am concerned.  How could you not learn something out of all that...
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    If you are anywhere near London, there is a teacher that does this in the flat where Jimi lived. I have signed up for a  group of four sessions (its sold out now but they come up every few months)
    https://handelhendrix.org/whats-on/events/learn-play-like-hendrix/
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    didnt a certain youtube celebrity charge waaaaaaaaaaaaay over £80 only a handful of years back. I think there are people on here who received Skype lessons (or maybe lessons in person?) 

TBH if i could afford it id happily pay eight hundred for an hour of Greg Koch's time and knowledge
    You couldn't possibly be referring to a bandana wearing bespectacled formerly dreadlocked master of mirth could you?

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Hey guys, 

Has anyone ever had one of these? There seem to be $100 for an hour! Which is £80.

Which is obviously expensive but for a teacher like him, it could be worth it!

I'm really in Jimi Hendrix mode, and I'm basically just learning lots of Jimi Hendrix songs at the moment. I thought if I got a lesson Skype lesson from Greg I would ask him to show me lots of cool chord progressions with Hendrix fills and ideas in them. It seems like that's a really natural thing for him and something I'd like to know more about. And this kind of stuff would be a good companion to me learning all of the songs! 

I wouldn't mind doing one every month or so (if he even has time for that) ... It would probably benefit me a lot more than buying some new pedals!

However, this brings me to my next question ... are there are teachers from the UK you would recommend for that type of thing? I imagine they'd be cheaper! The appeal of Greg Koch is that he's obviously a master of that style, but I'm sure there are plenty of other masters around who are amazing teachers and charge less than £80 an hour.

Just looking to see what you think really!

Thanks.  

I'm no expert but I think £80 is about average for an hour of big Koch. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10692
    edited May 2017
    I think that's quite cheap for a personalised Skype lesson.  I know of another, non UK based guitarist, who charges €150 an hour for Skype lessons.  He's good, but not Greg Koch good.   I've seen other famous US based guitarists charge $150 - $200 an hour so I think you should go for it.  
    Yes Greg Howe quotes $200 an hour. I think $100 is well worth it, once a month that's a fancy cup of coffee a day and you can dip in and out and regulate how often you have them. Try it! Also maybe check Jamie Humphreys, Phil Hilborne, Jake Willson and Tolis Zcan'tspellhissurname. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7128
    My wife has bought me a lesson for my birthday in 2 weeks , Greg has swapped emails with me to sort out a day and I'm rather excited
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My wife has bought me a lesson for my birthday in 2 weeks , Greg has swapped emails with me to sort out a day and I'm rather excited
    That sounds awesome!

Let us know how it goes.
  • vizviz Frets: 10692
    My wife has bought me a lesson for my birthday in 2 weeks , Greg has swapped emails with me to sort out a day and I'm rather excited
    That sounds awesome!

Let us know how it goes.
    I'm sure he'll let you video it. Hope it goes well. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7128
    Thanks guys , I'll report back when it's over and I've calmed down. If it goes well I can see me booking a few more, maybe one every couple of months as I can imagine he's pretty inspirational.
  • Just finished my first (and not last lesson)

To briefly report in as I'm still buzzing

- I'm even more shite than I thought I was
    - He is ever better than I thought he was
    - He is a natural teacher and way more in touch with theory than I expected.
    - I grinned and gurned all the way through it
    - He is planning to play with his band here in the U.K. next year.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom