Any love for stock marshall 1960 4x12's??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• If you want something similar to a Marshall cab but (IMO) a bit nicer, the EVH 412 is superb.  They don't come up used to often and will cost more than a Marshall, but to me they're a 1960 made properly.  They are straight but have the angled backward baffle like a Marshall.  Stock speakers are M magnet Greenbacks which are nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    ICBM said:
    professorben said:

Didn't @icbm figure it to be a mode four cab? Quite tall, single input on the back? 

Reading back your previous discussion I'm almost sure it was a mode four cab, as they have a metal Marshall logo that looks grey. 
    Not sure it was me, but yes those cabs sound great and have less of a tendency to catch fire than the matching amps :).

They have either V30s or G12K-100s depending on which version they are.
    Really? Would 4x60w speakers handle a 350w SS amp head?
  • Theoretically it's possible but maybe your ears will explode first, or something technical ICBM can explain.

I've not blown anything up and my setup is 500 watts through 280 watts of speakers on paper 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Ah yeah I think we did agree it was a Mode 4 cab!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    edited February 2017
    Bidley said:
    ICBM said:

They have either V30s or G12K-100s depending on which version they are.
    Really? Would 4x60w speakers handle a 350w SS amp head?
    The amp only puts out a claimed 235W at 16 ohms, and Marshall's V30s are rated at 70W each so it's a 280W cab, hence the name (MF280 - the MF400 has G12K-100s).

You need both cabs connected to give an 8-ohm load to get the full 350W.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein