Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

F@&king Overdrives ARGH (Sorted!)

What's Hot

Comments

• @Magnetic_Effects It's the BB preamp a Bluesbreaker circuit? If not, I have been misinformed!

@rawk100 yes, I'd certainly consider those. Any TS derivative with EQ beyond 'tone' is welcomed. That Rook OD from Mojo Hand with the Baxandall tone stack could well do the trick too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    Overdrives are a pain in the ass. As you know, i've settled on the Gain Changer for now (which is sort of three switchable Barber circuits in one), but i've had millions looking for that perfect crunchy snappy always-on sound. To add to your list, here's a couple more i'd recommend at least checking out - Fairfield Barbershop and Resonant Manifold. And if you've never had a Boss OD, you at least need to try one. They aren't cool, but they do a good job.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Really, really like the one of a cranked SD-1, but cannot accept the bypass bleed thorough. I should prob try a wazacraft at some point.
  • @Dungus I've had a Barbershop actually - but at the time I was auditioning it as a drive on it's own, not a stacker. I remember noting at the time that it stacked well but that it wasn't nice on it's own (IMO). Another I should maybe try again.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @Magnetic_Effects It's the BB preamp a Bluesbreaker circuit? If not, I have been misinformed!

@rawk100 yes, I'd certainly consider those. Any TS derivative with EQ beyond 'tone' is welcomed. That Rook OD from Mojo Hand with the Baxandall tone stack could well do the trick too
    For tweaked TS with tonestack keep a look out for a Hudson 999. Love mine to bits and it's one of only few that I still have left. He didn't make many of them though, 30 I think.
  • @simonk yeah that sounds pretty good in demos. Is not the pre-cursor to the Sidecar?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @simonk yeah that sounds pretty good in demos. Is not the pre-cursor to the Sidecar?
    It sounds like they're similar circuit wise but I tried them side by side and found the Sidecar a fair bit more aggressive.
  • @simonk Hmm okidoke. Might not be what I'm after. Typical only 30 of the 999 were made...
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    @colourofsound ;

The BB is not based on the Bluesbreaker. The BB is much closer to a Tubescreamer but with active eq.
  • gusman2x said:
    Really, really like the one of a cranked SD-1, but cannot accept the bypass bleed thorough. I should prob try a wazacraft at some point.
    The Waza doesn't sound the same, it has more low end which may or may not be preferable.

I'm not sure how hard it is to mod the original because I've never found it an issue. However IIRC it's possible to fix it by putting a buffered pedal in front and my tuner is a TU3 so that'll be why 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    It might be more worth while looking at your amp.
     Sounds like there's something more than a dirt pedal fix to get what you want.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I only just bought it! :( want to persevere before looking at changing my amp (again)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited February 2017
    I have a dead on Timmy clone you can loan if you cover the postage. It does the "more" thing quite well and the low band eq is great. 
  • If you're looking for Omar Rodriguez Lopez tones you want an Orange voiced OD and maybe a Big Muff - although these days he uses an Empress Fuzz.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

Can report back that the Smallsound/Bigsound Mini Fuck was AWESOME. On it's own it slayed, being pushed by a TS9 it was awesome (but I didn't manage to get any volume lift), and it was fantastic in front of a LPB-1

I was super pleased.

• @gusman2x I'll investigate :)
  • I feel a little silly...after having a play around it is quite possible that the @Magnetic_Effects Sonic Tailor that I had put aside for high gain gigs may actually, at lower gains, be what i'm looking for. Haha. The EQ is pretty damn flexible. As I try other pedals it will be the benchmark. I certainly won't ever be selling it, that's for sure. One of the best ODs i've ever heard. Well done mate.

But yes, its possible that the search is over - although i'm still keen to sell my current crop and try out something a little less compressed :)
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    @colourofsound Nice! Glad to hear it.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    The Bad Monkey and both original and new Guv'nors are worth a try. 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom