Bell like top end chime with sweetness, el34 or 6l6 ?

TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
As per my username I play a USA std Tele which has the broadcaster bridge pickup and twisted tele neck model. I seriously hate humbuckers and find the top end way too rolled off and the midrange much too congested for my liking. I've been talking to an amp builder and I'm curious as to which output valve to select. I'm in tone heaven when my single coils just reproduce my take on Jeff Healey guitar tones and songs. The lower output justs unclutters the midrange and you can hear individual notes in chords rather than a block sound, and the top end is extended, sweet and pure. My drive stomp is a maxon od808 set drive 0% and volume 50% so it's used as a clean boost that just gives a little more. If you think of that bell like purity and tones that Philip Sayce and Jeff Healey displayed in their music  am i better off with el34s or 6l6s ?

Thanks for any suggestions.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    My experience is that it has more to do with the circuit design than the valves.  My current Rivera runs a pair of EL34s and definitely has a lot of American clean tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Based on my, admittedly limited, experience, I'd be particularly concerned about getting the valves in their optimum operating window.  They'll be much more linear and controllable that way.  Depending on your requirements, this might mean cutting right back on output power.  Speaker choice is critical as well - makes a huge difference - and don't rely on Youtube videos recorded on a phone and played through your PC speakers.
  • Anyone else any suggestions?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Surely it's the amp design and speakers that are the key elements?  I mean, my Laney VC30-210 (2 x 10" Jensen C10Q16's) has EL84's and has glorious sparkly bell-like cleans.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    If you're running the amp "clean" then I doubt you'd notice the difference between 6L6 and EL34. I think it's when you push the output stage close to the limits that the two valve types start to exhibit different tonal characteristics.  Personally I'd opt for 6L6 style as there are plenty of PT and OT options to play with from an amp design perspective.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Why not try some humbuckers
  • I saw Jeff Healey once when he first hit big, I'm pretty sure he played through a Marshall half stack, but it's been a long time...