SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

1989 PRS Custom(24) Gret black 10 top with birds - Special history - £2500 Open to trade deals

I have relisted thios as my trade deal has fallen through on account of the r9 in question falling off its stand and getting a neck fracture :/ 

Price reduced for a quick sale  so 2500 cash or 2750 trade deals.  Open to multiple guitar trades also 

Hey All, can't believe i'm putting this one up but here goes. Here is my 1989 prs sweet switch artist owned PRS custom, she's a bit special. Read on to find out why.

This is one of the Brazilian Rosewood era guitars with the Sweet Switch (no Papers for the Brazilian CITES for Brailian Rosewood came into effect in 11 June 1992 and this predates those rules so they they did not provide it at this early stage) The late 80s PRSs are considered some of the best guitars that Paul has ever made. This is made before the factory move to the new Maryland factory. people call these pre factory but thats a little bit of a misnomer. This guitar was made in the Virginia Avenue factory and was initially carved out with dupli-carvers and jigs and then finished by hand. Pearlworks will have used a CNC to add the birds but thats it! |All the rest is hand done after the dupli-carve. The build quality is second to none. After having owned several prs the old ones like this feel and sound so different to the newer ones its unbelievable.

The Grey black finish as not faded and the flame on it is truly spectacular (ill let the photos do the talking there.)

Heres the spec list

• One piece Mahogany Neck with Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard 
  • Regular Neck Carve with Old Birds 
  • 10 Top figured maple top with a solid mahogany back 
  • Nickel hardware and a Tremolo bridge 
  • PRS Phase I Locking Tuners 
  • HFS Treble & Vintage Bass Humbuckers 
  • 5 way rotary switch 
  • Sweet Switch Tone Filter 
  • Finished in Gray Black 
  • Original PRS Hard Case

This one is possibly the best PRS Ive played. It really is a joy to use. Reason for sale? I have now acquired an 88 prs and while they both have the same neck carve the other just feels a little fatter in my hands. It took me weeks to decide what tone to move as there both fantastic instruments but so close sonically I cant warrant having 2.

Now for the super fun stuff, There is a name on the back of the headstock, Fred Sampson So i went a digging and found out its the fred sampson that penned some of bostons hit songs and I was lucky enough to contact to him! Heres what he said! ( i can supply my email correspondence if needed)

""Hello Chris! What a pleasure receiving your inquiry about your PRS guitar. Yes, it was mine. I meet Paul reed smith while working at the NAMM music trade shows beginning in 1985. I was vp of sales of rockman SR&D, Tom Scholz's company. Part of my duties where to perform sales training and guitar clinics around the world. Paul saw some value in folks seeing me with one of his guitars in my hands, so he sold me that one right after the NAMM show 1989. You'll be glad to know that it was also featured on the cover of his product catalog for that year! I remember that guitar as a drop dead beauty!""

Now i cannot confirm it was the same guitar on the cover of said magazine but Fred seems to think it was so im happy with that!

Condition is 9-10. Theres a couple of little marks in the binding and a touch of buckle rash but thats it! For its age its in fantastic condition. It's all original, nothing changed, nothing borrowed, all completely original. The case is travelled and is not in perfect order but is still perfectly functional.

Price wise I'm looking for £2750 cash or 3000 trade-wise. for a guitar of this calibre and provenance I feel this is a fair price but feel free to make offers  .

Trade wise I'm willing to listed to what you have, nothing pointy or metal though. One off custom makes ill also look at and multiple guitar trades (not 16 epiphones or 1786 squire strat type deals though) No amps either as I now have a helix and 3 tube amps so I'm well serviced in that area. Basically the trades will have to be something to be something high end.

The guitar is in blackburn and I'm more than happy for you to come and try her, I'm convinced the first to try will walk away a happy guitarist.

More high res pics available upon request!

If you have made it this far, please go make yourself a brew and have biscuit on me, you deserve it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom