TUPE regs.....

What's Hot
anyone have any experience of this? 
Transition? Etc. 
" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Yeah, quite a bit.

I have consulted on a large number of service transfer contracts.

Ask away, or PM if you like.
  • I had to go through TUPE twice in a 6 year period. What do you wanna know?
  • Hair we go again, just because I'm bald.

Oh hang I though you said toupee, my bad!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1476
    I work about 15 feet away from our Payroll Dept, who run payrolls for 100+ clients and 20,000+ employees per week, so we get this all the time when clients buy new sites...So happy to ask them anything you need to know. 
  • Yep, I was TUPE'd when 3 outsourced Engineering & Ops to Ericsson. It was quite painless, as I remember. We were protected from redundancy for 2 years I think, though I'm not sure if that was negotiated or part of standard TUPE practice.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9733
    My experience is that most of your terms and conditions remain the same, and that you are protected from redundancy for one year. Your pensions T&Cs, however, are not protected.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    My experience is that most of your terms and conditions remain the same, and that you are protected from redundancy for one year. Your pensions T&Cs, however, are not protected.
    That's not strictly true. The way the new legislation is worded depends on how you interpret broadly equivalent terms and conditions for pensions.. you should be offered something that leaves you no better or worse off. Good luck proving otherwise tho.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4227
    edited February 2017
    I've been through TUPE twice - there was a lot of FUD amongst the workforce but it was very painless both times from an employee perspective.

As for specifics, ask one of the guys above.  I would say that, for me, one of the times I mentioned ended a bit wayward (long after the TUPE process) but this was *solely* down to the company taking over, and not the process.  Keep an eye on who's coming in.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    My Company ( well not mine i dont own it) are mostly contract based O&M workforce we win and lose contracts quite a bit so have experience of TUPE, both taking on and being taken on, sounds like the guys above should be able to more than help but i'll give it a crack if needed.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9733
    HAL9000 said:
    That's not strictly true. The way the new legislation is worded depends on how you interpret broadly equivalent terms and conditions for pensions.. you should be offered something that leaves you no better or worse off. Good luck proving otherwise tho.
    When I was TUPE'd some years back my pension went from Final Salary to defined contributions and the normal retirement age moved from 62 to 65. Apparently ok as the level of employer conts remained much the same.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    HAL9000 said:
    HAL9000 said:
    When I was TUPE'd some years back my pension went from Final Salary to defined contributions and the normal retirement age moved from 62 to 65. Apparently ok as the level of employer conts remained much the same.
    It's an interesting question - I know the legislation has changed recently, and the main issue is there have been no test cases to decided if the alternate pension provision is deemed to be 'broadly comparable' or not.. Most interesting that they decided that the level of emp. conts. was the main comparator.. 
  • When my contract was "tuped" We lost our sick pay, anybody that didn't sign the new contract was basically resigning. So we all signed new contract and lost out, but we still have our jobs.
  • Went through TUPE a couple of years ago, part of the process that ended, for me, with redundancy. Most of the parallel organisations ( these were public Trusts becoming privatised) had immediate changes , particularly to their redundancy policies, so at least I didn't have that.

MrsTheWeary has been through TUPE a couple of times but being part of a decent union it hasn't massively effected her. Other people I know who have been through TUPE weren't immediately effected either but the organisations employed new people on new terms so the old school people ended up having to move to new terms if they wanted new roles (which meant, for example, people nearing retirement could carry on unaffected but those seeking promotion would have to sacrifice anything that looked like a perk). 

There were a lot of stories and innacuracies around the whole TUPE process, my advice is find a decent summary of the regulations and read them well, ignore all the myths and misinformation that will fly around at work. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Went through TUPE a couple of years ago, part of the process that ended, for me, with redundancy. Most of the parallel organisations ( these were public Trusts becoming privatised) had immediate changes , particularly to their redundancy policies, so at least I didn't have that.

MrsTheWeary has been through TUPE a couple of times but being part of a decent union it hasn't massively effected her. Other people I know who have been through TUPE weren't immediately effected either but the organisations employed new people on new terms so the old school people ended up having to move to new terms if they wanted new roles (which meant, for example, people nearing retirement could carry on unaffected but those seeking promotion would have to sacrifice anything that looked like a perk). 

There were a lot of stories and innacuracies around the whole TUPE process, my advice is find a decent summary of the regulations and read them well, ignore all the myths and misinformation that will fly around at work. 
    Ultimately, I'm pretty happy with my package (  ;) ) and the work, I'd be happy to move across and do the same thing. 
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    I have been through 3 TUPE transfers and going through one right now..the other times not a thing changed ....will have to see this time..
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    edited February 2017
    8 times.
    they fuck things up,which seems to normal in admin.
    just keep your old contract and keep pointing ouut where they have gone wrong.
     new boss's always start off with trying to make an imediate statement.
    usually works out ok when they find you know your stuff and they realise they need you to make life easier for them.
  • That's great chaps thanks, I guess just hold tight till August now........