Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gary Moore - still mesmerised by him

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

On my YouTube for some reason, I have no memory of this at all but I thought it was a nice clip of Gary (terrible air guitar though). 
    And if you've never seen this it's Gary and his guitar collection in about 1825

Presenter Neil Buchanan being a bit faux naive as he has alternated his tv career with one as a rock guitarist. 
    Good grief! I remember watching that at the time.

Awful concept!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    I've always been aware of him of course but never really clicked.  I've really enjoyed this thread though and can see how amazing he is.....I was giggling to myself by 6.30 of the initial video at how good he was.  He seems to me to be one of the greats.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    edited February 2017

I'm still a huge fan.  He was my number 1 influence for years, probably still is.  I still remember cycling 7 miles to my local town as a boy to buy Wild Frontier on vinyl (back when it was wither that or tape...)

I wore that record out.  Then After The War, then the back catalogue, then Still Got The Blues.  Went off him a little after that, didn't really like the blues stuff as much as the rock/jazz albums.  "Flight Of The Snow Moose" just can't compare with Texas Strut!!!

Only saw him a couple of times, on the After The War tour, and with the Scars band.  He was extremely rude to a couple of guys in the crowd ("you're a c***, and you're a c***").  Would love to know what that was about.

But yeah.  I miss him.

Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • MrBump said:

Only saw him a couple of times, on the After The War tour, and with the Scars band.  He was extremely rude to a couple of guys in the crowd ("you're a c***, and you're a c***").  Would love to know what that was about.

But yeah.  I miss him.

I saw him twice, both times in Wolverhampton on Blues tours towards the end of his life, and I am pretty sure he did this both times at those gigs too. Grumpy git.

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244

^ I reckon that says more about the people of Wolverhampton....

:)

Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBump said:

I wouldn't disagree with you there....

• MrBump said:

I wouldn't disagree with you there....
    :anguished: 

EricTheDingle
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    edited February 2017
    12 Inches of Over The Hills & Far away & Wild Frontier are awesome if you haven`t hear them before.......... the intro to Wild Frontier particularly - that tremolo picking........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SgQUi9uJrc

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited February 2017
    MrBump said:

But yeah.  I miss him.

I saw him twice, both times in Wolverhampton on Blues tours towards the end of his life, and I am pretty sure he did this both times at those gigs too. Grumpy git.
    I know someone who went to see him around that time at the Manchester Apollo.

Apparently he was playing a Tele on one song and seemed to be gesturing to his tech, fiddling with the amp and generally looking displeased. In the end he lifted the guitar off and threw it behind him. His tech apparently rushed on stage to rescue it.

The way my friend tells it, he remained in a foul mood for the remainder of the gig....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    ^ Personally I have no issue with him being grumpy or otherwise as long as the music is good - which it was! No real interest in meeting artists afterwards etc........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom