Backup Head

What's Hot
Looking for a backup small solid state head.  Was gravitating towards an Orange Micro Terror but the Blackstar Core 40 Head seems to tick a lot of boxes.  I know the Blackstar is rated at 40W, but I seems that's configured as 20W+20W for 2 stereo channels, strange as I would have assumed most people would have preferred 40W in one channel.  Am i missing anything obvious? It's got to do the work of a Egnator Rebel 30, but the cab's mic'd anyway so I don't suppose it needs to be too loud.  Any recommendations welcome,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• As I always say...any of the 20W Jet City amps would be perfect. Cheap (you can pick a JCA22H up second hand for about £30 or £40 more than a Micro Terror new), sound great, nearly bomb-proof and not too big or heavy.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Be careful to check the impedance of the speaker against the output of the amp. For example, the Orange Micro Terror gives 20W into 4 ohms, but fairly linearly falls off so you only get 10W into 8 ohms and 5W into 16 - so if your cab is 16 ohms, it's unlikely to be loud enough. (Although it does sound marginally less horrendous at 16 ohms.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Just bought a quilter pro block  it's awesome
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    I've got an unused DV Mark micro 50 that I bought for this use. Doesn't look like I need it now so would sell if you fancied something really small/powerful with reverb.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToonToon Frets: 57
    edited February 2017
    I keep a EH Caliber 22 power amp in my gig bag. Great for a backup. Small, light, easy to set up and covers 8 and 16 ohm output

I am not young enough to know everything

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The new Quilter looks decent, should be ok priced as well

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/microblock-45
  • Guys, thanks so much for the advice.  These are just what I'm looking for.  The DV Mark looks a brilliant piece of kit but probably more than I actually need.  However, the 22 Caliber or the Quilter look pretty much what I'm looking for.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I have a .44 Caliber and a Bogner La Grange for backup, totally recommended.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Backup Head........... That is just boasting
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunm said:
    The mutually agreed conditions of my relationship means it's not allowed for me either.  
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    shaunm said:
    The mutually agreed conditions of my relationship means it's not allowed for me either.  
    It seems my main use option is a bit faulty and has stopped working. Even so, having a back up is not permitted. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    shaunm said:
    shaunm said:
    It seems my main use option is a bit faulty and has stopped working. Even so, having a back up is not permitted. 
    I keep my backup at the *cough* studio so main amp doesn't know about it...

(I wish..)