PRS DGT tone tips

What's Hot
NiallseroreillyNiallseroreilly Frets: 507
edited February 2017 in Guitar
Just got a lovely PRS DGT 2012 Ten Top.... its a beaut.

Anywho... Was wondering if any DGT owners had any experiences with experimenting with the coil splits, volume and tone controls? 

Care to share?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

There's this guy that did a youtube video on some of the sounds you can get out of a DGT..

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What would he know
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    Regular Strat style split on either pick-up as normal - but try split option - 3 way selector in the middle - bridge volume on 10 and neck volume rolled off  touch for a Tele-esq voice - Especially with gain on the amp, the volume pot will allow full expression to control the gain - hence soul and emotion levels - subtle at times but always effective

Split voices are more realistic than many other regular humbucking options but don't expect it to sound like a full blown vintage Strat - Afterall it is still a humbucking based guitar with mahogany body/neck - but they will give you useful additional tones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7557
    If you're not used to having 2 volume controls then play around with that (if you come from Gibson type guitars you'll already be familiar obv) 

The main tone trick with a DGT is achieved by owning one. Just play :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    edited February 2017
    I found it useful to play for prolonged periods with the coils always split.  If you constantly switch back and fore between split and non-split your immediate reaction may be that the split sounds are a bit underwhelming, because they will inevitably have less body and presence than the full bucker 'tone you just heard. 

Take the bucker sound out of the equation for a few days and treat it like a single coil guitar and you really start appreciating the split sounds for what they are.  The neck pickup does a very credible Strat and the bridge does a very credible tele, but I found my favourite split sounds by putting it the middle position and experimenting with putting one volume control  full up and then rolling the other off to varying degrees.

I'm not saying the guitar is all about split coil sounds, but its status as an exceptional humbucking guitar is the obvious bit: it's learning to make the most of the split sounds that really transforms it into a special instrument.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Regular Strat style split on either pick-up as normal - but try split option - 3 way selector in the middle - bridge volume on 10 and neck volume rolled off  touch for a Tele-esq voice - Especially with gain on the amp, the volume pot will allow full expression to control the gain - hence soul and emotion levels - subtle at times but always effective

Split voices are more realistic than many other regular humbucking options but don't expect it to sound like a full blown vintage Strat - Afterall it is still a humbucking based guitar with mahogany body/neck - but they will give you useful additional tones
    Tried this with a zenkudo.... glorious
  • I think the coil splits are fantastic. Im really enjoying this guitar.