Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The worst 'good' guitar you've owned?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3487
    Metallic Red Marlin Sidewinder, about 20 years ago, loved it to bits, but it was a pile of crap.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72404
    crunchman said:

The worst expensive guitar I've played has to be a Mark Knopfler signature Strat.  I was in a shop trying out an amp and I used this lovely looking Knopfler sig which was very underwhelming.  Then they asked me if I could move into a demo room because I was making too much noise and I switched to a Mexican Strat instead.  It completely blew the Knopfler away.
    There was a CS Eric Johnson Strat in the shop a while ago that was like that - it just sounded like it was made of wet cardboard. The nearly identical-looking Mexican Strat next to it for a thousand pounds less made it sound even worse…

robgilmo said:
    Metallic Red Marlin Sidewinder, about 20 years ago, loved it to bits, but it was a pile of crap.
    There was also one of those recently - it was actually very nice, surprisingly! The bridge hadn't spontaneously disintegrated either, like they usually do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3487
    I loved mine, at the time (late 80s) I was the nuts , locking nut, fine tune bridge, flash paint, it was what it was, a cheap guitar made out of cheap parts but well put together. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    All these comments about thin and muddy sounding guitars, what amps are you playing through? The guitar is only part of th equation.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72404
    markj said:
    All these comments about thin and muddy sounding guitars, what amps are you playing through? The guitar is only part of th equation.
    That's true, but some guitars just do sound like that. (Both ways.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• worst ever, a Jimmy Page sig LP that would not, could not be in tune all over the neck, which I sold to  USA collector who probably didn't care about those minor issues. Second a 9 series Taylor which my partner ( with a sensible eye on finance ) prevented me from jumping off a table onto ( bloody satisfying) to trading for something else ( satisfying but not so much fun )
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    USA standard strat, was awful , played squires that were better ...