Declaring a speed awareness course.

What's Hot
ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
The wife's car insurance is due for renewal and she did a speed awareness course last November, fifty in a forty. I've looked on all the documentation from last years insurance and although it states that you have to declare changes to your circumstances ie convictions there is nothing to say about declaring a speed awareness course. Likewise, on using the various comparison websites for car insurance they ask for details of convictions but not speed awareness. Searches of google are a bit inconclusive most reports saying that you are 'advised' to tell them.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Only if they specifically ask you.

And if they do, go somewhere else.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4193
    You take the Course precisely to stop your insurance being potentially loaded
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24543
    Full disclosure. They can refuse to pay out if you don't.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

They can only refuse to pay out if you fail to declare something they specifically ask you about...
  • http://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/speed-awareness-courses/#g0q810B5SvijRzW7.97

On there it says along the lines of you dont have to declare it as its not a conviction, but if asked by the insurer then you have to provide the details.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    edited February 2017
    I'm with Direct Line and did a SAC last year. When my renewal came up I just decided to ask them. They said they didn't care as it wasn't a conviction as Fink_Ployd said. 

My wife is with Admiral. We checked their T&C's and they specifically state you have to declare it. So we left them. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268

They can only refuse to pay out if you fail to declare something they specifically ask you about...
    Given that one conversation is much, much easier than the other I just tell them about my wife's SA course. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    http://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/speed-awareness-courses/#g0q810B5SvijRzW7.97

On there it says along the lines of you dont have to declare it as its not a conviction, but if asked by the insurer then you have to provide the details.

Just read that gocompare information. It says that the onus is on the insurer to ask all the relevant questions not for the insured to tell them what they think may be important. If they ask though you have to tell them. Thanks, I think that answers my question.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24543

Not true.

If you think you know a material fact that might change the terms of the policy they offer you, then you have not purchased the policy in good faith.

The terms of 99% of policies include a "if in doubt you must tell us..." clause for precisely this reason 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

^^
    This ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    When I renewed I was asked explicitly whether I had taken the Speed Awareness Course. I had to confess and my premium went up as a direct result.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    If you tell them, they will probably shrug their shoulders, and say, "well she's probably a safer and better driver now".
    I doubt whether it will make any difference to the premium. It didn't for me when I did a course and declared it.

But if you don't declare it then they could use that as a reason to avoid liability.

So I would tell them. No question.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Your wife and Emp really need to watch this

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • I did one a few months back. I'm with Admiral; Admiral policy states you must tell them when renewing your policy (they do ask as I remember before) so I'll tell them and see what the price does. No doubt they'll lose a customer.

It varies from insurance provider but I know all of Admiral Group companies expect to be told at renewal 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Sambostar said:
    Your wife and Emp really need to watch this

She's not quite as bad as that but does drive with the handbrake on, can't imagine how she got caught speeding really.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom