Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'security' gone mad at work

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341

For the past 16 years my phone has has a 4 digit pass to get access to phone messages. These aren't top secret messages, just typical office stuff - 'call me when you get back' etc.

So, end of December we get a memo saying that all phone passes now have to be 8 digits. 8 bloody digits!!!!! utterly annoying and pointless. I just doubled mine up to the same number twice. 2 months on and I still put the wrong number in every time, after 16 years you are kind of hard wired to 4 digits. 

But it gets worse ...... I went to retrieve a message today, only to be told that 2 months is up so I have to change my number!?!?!? Every two months we have to come up with a new 8 digit number. The message has the audacity to say 'make it a memorable number'. OK, so I went for the easy option: 11111111. Nope, that got refused. The system is now telling me that it has to be a RANDOM number! So basically, every 2 months I have to come up with a random 8 digit number that is 'memorable'. At this point I did what any normal person would do - made a random number up and stuck it on my phone with tape!

I HATE this sort of utter bullsh*t. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• just double your existing 4 digit pin?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28636
    axisus said:
    The system is now telling me that it has to be a RANDOM number!
    How is it assessing that? People aren't very good at generating random number sequences.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • We have a similar system, plus laptop passwords that change every 3 months. 

Corporate IT have never quite grasped that the most secure password is simply very long one that you never change, and never write down, because you remember it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Find the person responsible for the security, beat them round the head with your office phone, then tell everyone to email you ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought this stuff was common in most offices these days.

Pretty much every time I come back from a holiday I have to ring IT to re-set mine.  It always seem to need renewing around the time I go off, meaning I've only entered it a few times before going.

Though my absolute record was resetting my password, locking my computer to go to the toilet, coming back and completely drawing a blank.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    axisus said:
    The system is now telling me that it has to be a RANDOM number!
    How is it assessing that? People aren't very good at generating random number sequences.
    let me try

By gosh, you're right!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    Our system is thick enough that you can keep passwords the same and just change a number.  It remembers recent ones and won't let you re-use them again.  I've got two sequences that I go through with the numbers going from 1 to 0 on the keyboard.  By the time I've finished that I can start again.

Our phone pins will accept things like 1212 and 1313 so I cycle through those.  It lets me start again with 1212 when I get to 1919.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Mum's phone number. Sorted
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Evilmags said:
    Mum's phone number. Sorted
    Nope - everyone knows that ;)
    21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    Handy hint for anyone who has a password system that won't let you use "previous" passwords i.e. you can't just append a different number.
    Use your existing password and append it with _01$ Then just increase the digit each time, most machine parsing sees that as valid "text".
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1247

Try keeping track of two 8 digit PINs (admittedly they never change unless I make a total balls up) depending on how I'm connecting to the intranet, and then 4 different passwords for different systems, that have to be renewed every 60-90days.

And I'm officially not allowed to write them down anywhere, as that would be a breach of company policy. However, I do have some seemingly random letters and numbers marked inside a notepad, but by the time anybody deciphered the code, they'd of used up the 3 attempts and locked the accounts out.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8746
    axisus said:

I went to retrieve a message today, only to be told that 2 months is up so I have to change my number!?!?!? Every two months we have to come up with a new 8 digit number. ... I HATE this sort of utter bullsh*t. 

It is bullshit because if employees don't agree with the approach then it actually decreases the security level. I once opened a security seminar for a client. "Good afternoon everybody. It's 1st September, so who set their password to "company09" this morning?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • crunchman said:
    Our system is thick enough that you can keep passwords the same and just change a number.  It remembers recent ones and won't let you re-use them again.  I've got two sequences that I go through with the numbers going from 1 to 0 on the keyboard.  By the time I've finished that I can start again.

Our phone pins will accept things like 1212 and 1313 so I cycle through those.  It lets me start again with 1212 when I get to 1919.
    I do the same from 02 to 40, and then start from the beginning again.
  • FX_Munkee said:
    Handy hint for anyone who has a password system that won't let you use "previous" passwords i.e. you can't just append a different number.
    Use your existing password and append it with _01$ Then just increase the digit each time, most machine parsing sees that as valid "text".
    We have that. I keep a standard 3-digit numeral/symbol combination that I append to the back of whichever comic book character springs to mind on password-change day. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    Very normal where I work. I agree it's annoying though.

An easy system to stick to with this would be to go:

After that just start again. If it doesn't allow it, go backwards.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    As one of the staff with password admin rights I just change my password to what I darn well want and it gives me my passwords :D and subsequently avoid any silly "no, this isn't a passwords of the sort we like, even though our policy is such that Pa$$word1 would count as a strong password, and we've arbitrarily limited you to 16 characters" messages
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I put the number of the month in mine - at work we have several and it gets frustrating every time they reset your network profile and you lose all saved passwords.  
    After one heated discussion with the IT bods I printed off an A3 page with them all listed in big font and stick it above my desk.    If anyone coming in the office wants to log in to see my collection of exam questions they are welcome - I suspect it's not worthy of a major hack.  
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    One of my password with a supplier is 1 2 3.

At the last place we had to change our password approximately once a month. Sometimes it was 2 weeks, other it was 6 weeks.........

We were supposed to change completely each time. Never happened, it was same word, with the number on the end bumped up by one.

One lad in the office had Parts386 as his (it had started at Parts 01).

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I worked for a company which provided an iPhone which required the passcode updating monthly. It was a 5c which didn't have fingerprint recognition. Bloody annoying....
  • Spell words with the keys, treat it like an 8 letter password. Job done. Here's a couple to start you off:

Elephant
    Mandolin
    Armchair
    Icecream
    Electric