need advice on amp trade

samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
So i've been offered a trade for my white Orange Thunderverb 200. The trade is for a Marshall JTM45 clone, the one in this link:
http://www.amnet.net.au/~megarad/2bb.html

its got KT66, good transformers and original Marshall speakers too.

I also have a Matamp half stack, so it's not like I'm losing my high powered amps and i would use that for all the gigs and doomy stuff. But the Marshall combo would be pretty cool. I can use it at home...and also I'm doing my own solo project which is a lot of noisy ambient stuff with fuzzy riffs over the top...which i dont necessarily need a half stack for.

The way i would be using the marshall is clean with pedals, which i expect should be sweet...but happy to be told otherwise.

any input would be appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    It looks very nicely put together, and those speakers are rare and valuable. I'm not sure of the relative value of the two amps where you are but it sounds like a fairly decent trade to me.

Just be careful about driving it hard with bassy fuzz pedals and the like, especially if you're down-tuning. The speakers are only 15W each and the amp is a full 30W, more if pushed. The original Bluesbreakers blew the speakers a lot, apparently - which is one of the reasons Marshall changed to Greenbacks as soon as they were available.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    ICBM said:
    It looks very nicely put together, and those speakers are rare and valuable. I'm not sure of the relative value of the two amps where you are but it sounds like a fairly decent trade to me.

Just be careful about driving it hard with bassy fuzz pedals and the like, especially if you're down-tuning. The speakers are only 15W each and the amp is a full 30W, more if pushed. The original Bluesbreakers blew the speakers a lot, apparently - which is one of the reasons Marshall changed to Greenbacks as soon as they were available.
    Thanks @ICBM ...so at low clean volume it's ok? 

im really keen because of the nice cleans I would get out it rather than pushing it at high volume 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    That is stunning!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Ceriatone amp if that helps. You could price that up on their website and add the shipping and customs charges. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    samzadgan said:

Thanks @ICBM ...so at low clean volume it's ok? 

im really keen because of the nice cleans I would get out it rather than pushing it at high volume 
    Yes, at low volume it will be fine.

If you're worried you could always add a parallel dummy load to absorb half the power - that would protect the speakers enough, and 15W will still be loud at home, through those speakers in the big cab.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein