Mid-range gaming PC graphics cards, CPU and Mobo advice

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    Ah! Gotcha.

I think the 50% is indeed for twisted pair which has slower signal propagation than a plain wire.

But I'm pretty sure light down a fibre is slower than that. It might help if you're doing your processing in the light domain too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Sporky said:
    Ah! Gotcha.

I think the 50% is indeed for twisted pair which has slower signal propagation than a plain wire.

But I'm pretty sure light down a fibre is slower than that. It might help if you're doing your processing in the light domain too.
    Because of H&S we're not allowed to play with proper enterprise fibre (something to do with not wanting students to look down the fibre wondering why they can't see the infrared ... followed by why their eye feels hot), but the lecturer suggested it's closer to the speed of light in the fibre than a wire...but we couldn't test it and he wasn't specific

A little googling says it's about 66%ish of c though... based on the one website
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7541
    Are we talking about the light travelling 50% of the "speed of light in a vacuum" or 50% lower than its speed in that medium? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    The former.

My numbers may be wrong.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."