Zoom G5n firmware update

freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1210
New Firmware V2.0 has been released for the Zoom G5n. Details here.
It looks like it includes all of the additional amps, cabs and effects that have been added since the initial launch plus 24 new patches, a new looper option and 30% more DSP efficiency.
This unit is the nuts for multi fx on a budget but rarely gets mentioned around here so perhaps I'm the only one using it! I'll definitely but updating the firmware tonight.
Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cool. I remember zoom were good with updates for the multi-stomps and G3 too. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    edited February 2017
    When the Zoom G5n came out, although switching was much better than the G5  it was a disappointing dumb down in many areas.  Despite the hype the modelling was no different in quality, there were ridiculously few amp models (5 v 22  - up to 10 or so now I believe), the displays are small and hard to see on stage, and the looper was no longer global. The boost was no longer global or valve driven, and the xlr out was done away with.  Aesthetically it turned from quite a funky unit to an uninspiring dull grey box. 

Having had the G5, I was really looking forward to the G5n but was disappointed with it.  What Zoom should have done was enhance the G5n with better switching but retain all of its extra features. Ultimately and most importantly I couldnt get either the G5 or the G5n to sound as good/organic or offer the ease of functionality of my old Tonelabs, so I stuck with them, sold the G5 and passed on the G5n. 

The processing power limitation  was a well reported problem, so I'm intrigued how a software update can enhance processing power by 30 percent. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Updated to V2.0 and it's even better. Many of the new patches are really useful and I hadn't used the particle reverb effect before which is just amazing. Amplifier modelling processing has been optimized to avoid “Process Overflow” according to Zoom and I've used chains with 8 or 9 blocks without a problem. Well worth a try if you're looking for this sort of thing.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    "What about G3N/G3XN" I thought, but if you look at the effect processing power chart, it seems these 2 may already have optimised processing as their effects have the same "scores" as the v2.0 G5N.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.