Goodbye to SKY, hello to FreeSAT

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4991
As alluded to in another discussion thread, we finally ditched SKY and switched to FreeSAT.  
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 994
    Cool, enjoy your monthly savings!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2089
    edited February 2017
    Im with sky but have BT Broadband, they have offered me their top BT Vision package for £10 per month for 12 months...might give it a go.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    spark240 said:
    Im with sky but have BT Broadband, they have offered me their top BT Vision package for £10 per month for 12 months...might give it a go.
    With any of these combined deals, always worth checking the contractual terms. You can often end up in a scenario where it gets expensive to leave because changing one part of the contract extends the minimum term of the other....so rather than being on a months notice, you end up with 12, 18 or 24 as if you've started from scratch.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24562
    Alas my favourite telly seems to be in Sky Atlantic, and Living. Not to mention the rugby and F1.

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    edited February 2017
    Yep, we tried that and were back with Sky within a week. :anguished: 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24422
    I gave up on Freesat years ago.

Mostly because we moved house and the new place didn't have a dish.

But also because of the 20,000 channels, of which 15,000 of them were Evangelical begging channels, 4,000 were German TV and the remainder were German Evangelical begging channels.

It used to take me six hours to go through the channels even at Hamm speeds...

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    Emp_Fab said:
    I gave up on Freesat years ago.

Mostly because we moved house and the new place didn't have a dish.

But also because of the 20,000 channels, of which 15,000 of them were Evangelical begging channels, 4,000 were German TV and the remainder were German Evangelical begging channels.

It used to take me six hours to go through the channels even at Hamm speeds...

That might have been Free Satellite but it wasn't Freesat.  Freesat has its own EPG which is largely UK centric and runs into a few hundred channels.
  • TV player on the Apple TV for regular content (crap picture quality mind), Netflix and iPlayer for me. Have a NowTV voucher for when game of thrones starts
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    edited February 2017
    I have had freesat through a sky box for about 8 years. It's fine if you don't watch much tv. Apart from ch 1-5 and then their add on channels (bbc3 itv2 more4 etc) there is pretty much nothing else. 

I've just recently hooked my old ps3 up though and I've been using that as an hd box for Netflix, iPlayer, 4od etc... so far that has covered me. 

That's a lot of telly for a monthly spend of £7.99. Wouldn't suit everyone though.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    Alas my favourite telly seems to be in Sky Atlantic, and Living. Not to mention the rugby and F1.

I'm just about the dump sky, I have the new BT box, which has quite a few channels that I used to watch on sky. But I've also purchased a Now TV box, which is run by sky, this has all the normal free view channels, but if you pay £6.99 a month you can get most of the channels from sky on the entertainment package which includes sky living and the Atlantic. You can also buy day tickets or weekly tickets to the sports channels, so I can watch the F1 only the race day unfortunately for £6.99 . So if I watch all the races it's still a lot cheaper than having the sports package with sky. I'm going give this set up a year or so, to see how I get on with it, unfortunately, neither of these boxes have such a good interface of sky. Although the BT box has this really good catch up facility, where you just scroll backwards through the program guide  to the find the program you've missed and watch it, you can go back seven days.

Sky £864 this year.

BT plus NowTV £203.88 this year + the cost of any of the F1 day tickets I buy.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• Yep, NOWTV is well worthwhile. If you don't already have a way to watch on demand services on your TV (or if like me you didn't do your homework and bought a smart TV that didn't have them all) it's worth buying just for that- it has BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 catch up services as well as the NOWTV/Sky stuff (plus YouTube, Vevo and a couple of other things I don't use).

IMO Netflix has more content for your money, although there's some good stuff in the NOWTV on demand selection.

FWIW, you can continue to use all the other on demand players even if you cancel your NOWTV subscription, so you could pay for it while Game of Thrones is on and cancel it when it isn't and still get all the other content. Not bad for £15.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12406
    edited February 2017
    We've got Now tv too, bought it for GoT and Walking Dead. Its decent value at £7 a month but I hate the way they keep shifting the menus around, it's a nightmare finding things that aren't showing live. Hmmm, now was it Popular, British box set or Trending? Arrgghhh! 
  • boogieman said:
    We've got Now tv too, bought it for GoT and Walking Dead. Its decent value at £7 a month but I hate the way they keep shifting the menus around, it's a nightmare finding things that aren't showing live. Hmmm, now was it Popular, British box set or Trending? Arrgghhh! 
    I had that problem while we were watching the West Wing. It turns out there's a "My TV" menu (or something like that) that keeps track of shows that you've been watching and will automatically cue up the next episode.

Got very frustrated with having to find the same show over and over again through endless lists, they trying to remember what I'd watched already before I worked out that the UI wasn't *that* bad after all.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2332
    we cancelled sky tv a few months ago - kept the broadband/phone as they were on a good deal.   I kept the ability to record freeview with sky which cost £10  a month as the wife wanted to be able to record freeview.    Have cancelled every contract year end and got a great deal after some effort.

A few months later sky offered me a deal which basically gave us everything apart from movies and HD, for £12 a month, and its tied into the same length as the phone/broadband.  

worked it out it was cheaper doing that than buying a half decent freesat box
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7541

A lot of the Atlantic series end up being available to purchase series by series from other sources (itunes, Amazon, Virgin box)

I've toyed with the idea of this - and look in to NowTV for special events... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2089
    Juts called sky today, got down from £80 pm to £47 and lost cinema....so what ?...Hello Kodi.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Gave up sky a couple of years ago, I don't miss the programs, just the slick epg. No loss.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12406
    boogieman said:
    I had that problem while we were watching the West Wing. It turns out there's a "My TV" menu (or something like that) that keeps track of shows that you've been watching and will automatically cue up the next episode.

Got very frustrated with having to find the same show over and over again through endless lists, they trying to remember what I'd watched already before I worked out that the UI wasn't *that* bad after all.
    Hadn't spotted that. Ta!  ;)