Weird question but...

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30927
If I have a unidirectional patch lead, and I want to use it as a bridging cable on a Bright/Normal 4 inpiut amp, and say I am using the bright channel as the main input, which way around does the direction go? Assuming Bright to Normal?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    Can you hear a tonal difference between the two options?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Gassage said:
    If I have a unidirectional patch lead, and I want to use it as a bridging cable on a Bright/Normal 4 inpiut amp, and say I am using the bright channel as the main input, which way around does the direction go? Assuming Bright to Normal?
    Isn't there an arrow or something..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is it made by Russ Andrews?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I can only assume that the cable is shielded at one end only?

This would not really confer any directionality per se, but maybe useful in breaking a ground loop, however this will not be an issue if you plugging into the same amp.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    If it's as jpfamps suggested, with a 'pseudo-balanced' construction so the shield is connected to ground only at the 'destination' end, then either

It will make no difference since both jacks are connected together by a short ground wire inside the amp anyway.

or

It's better to use it 'backwards', with the 'destination' end in the same channel as the guitar cable, since this is closer to 'star grounding' with that as the master ground point.

or

I can't think of a good joke about it :). My money's on the first one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    Is it made by Russ Andrews?
    The giveaway is if it's been liberally coated with snake oil.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it