What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2017
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:

Boss Tu12H tuner (not 'true' buffer)>Boss CS3
    I think we've mentioned that before - the TU-12H is *not* buffered in the usual sense. The tuner circuit input is so it's not a huge load on the signal path - but the output is just a parallel jack connected to the input, so it makes no difference to the following cable, which is still driven by the guitar. Of course if that goes to a CS-3 it's then buffered from then on.

But it certainly isn't buffered in the sense that the TU-2/TU-3 are, which have a true buffer driving the output.
    Sure, I completely appreciate that from previous discussions @ICBM which is exactly why I said its not a true buffer.  My query actually related to the G10 Relay and whether that was or was not a buffer?

BTW - & sorry if this is a silly question, but can you have too much 'beffering'?  For example, what if all your pedals are Boss? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Voxman said:

Sure, I completely appreciate that from previous discussions @ICBM which is exactly why I said its not a true buffer.  My query actually related to the G10 Relay and whether that was or was not a buffer?
    The output of the G10 relay is buffered, yes - in fact, they have to simulate the effect of the cable in order to not make it sound *too* bright because otherwise the guitar isn't loaded by it.

Voxman said:

BTW - & sorry if this is a silly question, but can you have too much 'beffering'?  For example, what if all your pedals are Boss? 
    If the buffers were perfect, you can't have too much. But Boss buffers aren't, and if you add up more than two or three of them you will begin to notice a bit of tone change - actually because they cause a very small volume drop, which is perceived as a worse tone rather than lower volume (a well-known psychoacoustic effect).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    If you don't mind me asking, what's the story with the simple GE-7 mod @ICBM? Most of my pedals are Boss, and I have a GE-7 at the end of the chain in the loop for boost and sound adjustment reasons, that mod sounds like it might be useful! :)
    edited March 2017
    clarkefan said:
    If you don't mind me asking, what's the story with the simple GE-7 mod @ICBM? Most of my pedals are Boss, and I have a GE-7 at the end of the chain in the loop for boost and sound adjustment reasons, that mod sounds like it might be useful!
    It's a long time since I did it, but from memory you need to reduce the value of R33 (4.7K), I think to 1K, but it may need some experimentation to get the right amount of boost. It's permanently there whether the EQ is actually on or not.

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s/schematics/boss-ge7-equalizer-schematic.png

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Nice one, thanks! :)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    ICBM said:
    The output of the G10 relay is buffered, yes - in fact, they have to simulate the effect of the cable in order to not make it sound *too* bright because otherwise the guitar isn't loaded by it.
    That's what I thought - so for those that need a buffer at the beginning of their pedal chain, a G10 would solve the problem for them? But presumably not so good if there are vintage pedals in the chain that don't like buffers?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:

That's what I thought - so for those that need a buffer at the beginning of their pedal chain, a G10 would solve the problem for them? But presumably not so good if there are vintage pedals in the chain that don't like buffers?
    Yes, exactly. In that case it's easy enough to add some series resistance before the first pedal - either inside the pedal or in a separate box, or even in a cable plug - which will make it look 'unbuffered'.

Or just stop using pedals that are a pain in the bum. I did :).