Multi-channel amp with series FX loop needed

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• @simonk I'll try and do that later. Any suggested settings are welcome!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @simonk I'll try and do that later. Any suggested settings are welcome!
    Nice one, I'll do the same when I get back later.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Mesa TA-15 (but no FX loop)  fits most of your criteria... whereas the bigger TA-30 fits all.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • @simonk - I've taken some of @ICBM 's sage advice and turned back the gain on both channels.  It has been very helpful to get a sound closer to that I want.  I need to hook up my Soulmate with it tomorrow night to get a definitive opinion but I think this needs a bit more playtime and tweaking.  On clean, everything around 10 o'clock/11 o'clock with the gain little past nine and the master turned up sounds much better than when I was keeping the gain at around 11.  I've never had an amp anything like this, so I think I've plenty learning to do.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @simonk - I've taken some of @ICBM 's sage advice and turned back the gain on both channels.  It has been very helpful to get a sound closer to that I want.  I need to hook up my Soulmate with it tomorrow night to get a definitive opinion but I think this needs a bit more playtime and tweaking.  On clean, everything around 10 o'clock/11 o'clock with the gain little past nine and the master turned up sounds much better than when I was keeping the gain at around 11.  I've never had an amp anything like this, so I think I've plenty learning to do.
    I think that's good advice and how I run the Mk IV setting on mine (its far too gainy for me otherwise and won't clean up nicely with the guitar volume), although I do like a bit of clip on the Fat setting. I set the graphic as always on for the second channel and switchable for the first, although I generally leave it off. 

http://i.imgur.com/2pSku2a.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/T4zVsg3.jpg

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3751
    edited March 2017
    Thanks, @simonk I'll give your settings a go.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    simonk said:
    @simonk - I've taken some of @ICBM 's sage advice and turned back the gain on both channels.  It has been very helpful to get a sound closer to that I want.  I need to hook up my Soulmate with it tomorrow night to get a definitive opinion but I think this needs a bit more playtime and tweaking.  On clean, everything around 10 o'clock/11 o'clock with the gain little past nine and the master turned up sounds much better than when I was keeping the gain at around 11.  I've never had an amp anything like this, so I think I've plenty learning to do.
    I think that's good advice and how I run the Mk IV setting on mine (its far too gainy for me otherwise and won't clean up nicely with the guitar volume), although I do like a bit of clip on the Fat setting. I set the graphic as always on for the second channel and switchable for the first, although I generally leave it off. 

http://i.imgur.com/2pSku2a.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/T4zVsg3.jpg

Classic Mark series scoop. 

I run my preamp the same. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1466
    Deijavoo said:
    This is all you need to know: 
    That sounds bloody marvellous!
    It does indeed - just a shame that when I phoned up Peach with a view to buying one, nobody bothered to get back to me, despite me being told they would do so within the hour. Sale lost. Ah well.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Laney Lionhearts are worth a look.  
    +1 for me. In fact I was looking exactly for your description when I got mine. The newer ones have a serial FX loop which I think is more versatile. The older ones with a parallel loop just require the removal of one resistor to make it serial but it's a bit of a faff to get to.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    normula1 said:
    Laney Lionhearts are worth a look.  
    +1 for me. In fact I was looking exactly for your description when I got mine. The newer ones have a serial FX loop which I think is more versatile. The older ones with a parallel loop just require the removal of one resistor to make it serial but it's a bit of a faff to get to.

Yep. It's a very easy mod- just remove one resistor and add two bridging wires between the loop send and return jacks.

Still more faffing about to get a useable loop than you should need to do in 2017 though.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Not a multi channel amp but I use my laney cub 12 in this way..

Volume rolled off for nearly clean
    Amp set to breakup for normal sound
    Soul food for my lead sound.

It's a stunning amp. Plenty loud enough even at <1w with 15w I'm put too. I love it alot. Fx loop is a good one too. All my modulations and time fx love it.

Best thing is its dirt cheap and available as a head.
  • I'm not here to sell anything but my company does make something that is right up your street. It's an 8 watt head (peaks between 12 and 13 watts). It's two channels with clean and distortion (gives you crunch up to a classic rock/hard rock sound but not metal) and it's got a nice FX loop with controls on the front.

| davisamplification.com | furyofficial.com | My favourite guitar is my American Standard HH Telecaster in whitish |
  • Still undecided on the amp. I can't help but feel I'll never grasp the subtle nuances of it and will remain continually disappointed in what I can make it do.

I keep coming back to the fact that, on paper, it should be the all singing, all dancing god of all amps but I was much happier back when I had an Egnater Renegade 212 (which I sold because it was simply too big for me to lug around). 

I am pretty sure I just want something where I can put my FX in the loop, set everything at 12 o'clock and make minor tweaks but mostly enjoy playing!

My band, Red For Dissent

I am pretty sure I just want something where I can put my FX in the loop, set everything at 12 o'clock and make minor tweaks but mostly enjoy playing!
    Lionheart. Telling you.

• @english_bob Any particular sub-models? 

My band, Red For Dissent
    @english_bob Any particular sub-models? 

There aren't that many. Basically you've got a 5W 1xEL84 head or cab, 20W 4xEL84 head or cab and a 50W 5xEL34 head.

I guess it depends what best suits how you want to sound. I've got the 1x12" 20W combo, so that's what my opinion's based on.

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    The 5 watt is more than enough for home use. I have a simple l-pad attenuator fitted to the back to keep it to sensible level.
  • Okay...So...I didn't quite stick with low wattage. An Egnater Renegade 1 x 12 was up for sale within 30 miles of home. The 2 x 12 was the best amp I've used, so I've hankered after a smaller one for years. 65w, switchable to 18w. Gave it a trial run and loved it. Job done. 

Thanks for all of your contributions. 

Until the next time ;)

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I expect a LOL or two for this but would happily take a TW@ click or ten, if such a thing were possible. 

So...The reverb is dead. The amp is going back for a full refund. The Mesa is sold. Time to go shopping...

Now decided low wattage isn't necessary. Volume control is. I love the sound the Egnater gives, combining 6L6 and EL34, but no idea how much is down to valves, how much circuitry. 

Sorry for being a total clown. Original post heavily edited!

My band, Red For Dissent