Could you survive with one guitar...

What's Hot

Comments

• Live I used to use a stat.never even touched a back up guitar. So yeah I could. I would be happy with it as well. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I did for many years, with a Westone thunder 1a.
     I could manage with one again, but I don't have to, so I don't.. Not sure which guitar I'd go with, though. I only like solid bodies, and I can't play strats..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• tbmtbm Frets: 581
    Yes. My US standard Telecaster from 1988. If fact I'm inching, and I mean inching, towards deciding to sell everything else. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • U til I got an old epi sheraton last week I had one electric and one acoustic.... And was totally content, it's nice having two electrics but for me pretty pointless especially as I play bass live,  but one if each is certainly doable 
  • I can and do . 1990 gibson les paul custom. I've had to borrow a guitar so I can get it fixed
  • My PRS 2008 CE24 because it's very versatile, having a trem and coil taps, plus it hardly ever goes out of tune, balances well, looks great, it's got it all. So why have I even got half a dozen other guitars?
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Ive been getting interested In this minimalist thing (http://www.theminimalists.com/minimalism/) if I could only have one guitar what would it be?  After deciding this it would then be an amp and pedal(s). Anyway - only one guitar, what would it be?  Just got a fano jm6 with two humbuckers which is looking favourite but maybe be an hss strat... 
    If they're true minimalists, why are they selling multiple books?

I bet they're not fans of minimalist bank accounts...  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3628
    I know I could keep just one guitar.

It would probably be the les Paul but one of the Strats would do equally well.

A Les Paul Special would probably be the ideal - but I don't have one. :'(

At the end of the day, to me, it's just what you get used to.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Never given this a thought... have only three and it feels like a lot... to think that lots of players have more than five in their wardrobes... I'd keep my 7 string one if I had to go minimal... made by my brother, a luthier. Definitely. By far and large.
  • I seem to be saying this a lot recently, I can do pretty much all the guitaring I need to with just my ancient Black Jap Strat Copy I've had since 1989, a rat clone and my WEM Dominator.

I don't want to though.
    :)

Mostly cos i make more money playing Bass these days.
  • BigKevBigKev Frets: 10
    If I had to then yes, it would be my Ruby Red Vigier Excalibur Ultra, that's the EMG pups one !!!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3500
    I like to play one in my hands and strum another two with my toes as rhythm and bass, one simply could not survive with only one guitar.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Yeah my overwater..it does everything and the one i use the most when playing live..
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    I could. If I was gigging regularly, maybe not. But I only have a Gibson midtown with me where I'm living currently, and it could suit me for everything if needed.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    edited March 2017
    To be honest, there are anyone of five of my guitars that I could get by with just on their own.  My PRS Cu24 because it has both HB and single-coil tones, lockable machine-heads enabling fast string changes, plus it has a pop-in whammy bar should I need it. Alternatively, my Gibson SG Standard or LP Custom with my quasi-tap pedal (whereby I can kick in single-coil tones).  Finally, either my Telecaster (real workhorse) or Stratocaster (iconic, versatile, whammy bar, plus mine has Delta tone).

In truth, if I needed to and with a decent amp and pedal board/MFX unit I could do a whole gig with just one of the above and I suspect most of us here are in a similar position, but just like to have some options and variety.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    I'd need 2 electrics and 2 acoustics.  If you only play electric then 2 electrics.

I use both electric and acoustic live, so I'd use one of each, but the reason you need two is that sooner or later you will have a guitar out of service while some work is done on it.  You don't want to not have a guitar when you take it in for a refret.  Or even if you do work on it yourself, you might need to order a part that could take a while to arrive, or wait for some glue to properly set/cure.

The spare guitar doesn't have to be a world beater - just something that's usable.  Something Mexican or far Eastern would be fine.  If you are going to have 2 you might as well get something that will give you a bit of variety though.  If your main guitar is a Strat then get a Tele or a semi as the spare.
  • Kade1301Kade1301 Frets: 2
    Easily with my Faith Mercury.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    My ESP 400 series Tele from the mid-late 80s. I'd need to refit the Strat pickup to the middle though.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    edited March 2017
    For Gigging it would probably be my strat, but the 335 does give it a run for it's money and I'd miss having a tele for it's unique sounds.

But when I expect to have to really concentrate on my playing I take the Aria because it's versatile and effortless.

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4142
    I only had  one guitar for nearly 20 years so I reckon I could like that again.

Much as  I love the Les Paul my wife gave me it's a bit heavy for my ageing shoulders. So  if I had just one guitar I'd have my Ibanez S521. Though I'd probably put some hotter pickups in it, they are a bit weedy.