Good RAT style distortion for low volume

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
I know there has been many a thread about distortion pedal recommendations...but I have a specific requirement...Low Volume playing.

I've had a bunch of distortion pedals and fuzzy distortions...i do really like the Rat tones. But i found that at low volume you just dont get the same sound, especially on the clarity front. I think because i like the more loose sounding dirt pedals (ie. Rat) at low volumes you just lose the clarity you get at the higher volumes when you're pushing the tubes.

so...any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    As of this week, there's a zvex distortron and a smallsound/bigsound mini on my board and they both do this sound really well, but each has a different feel.  
  • T-Rex Mudhoney is Rat-based I believe, and dual version is only about £130 new. Worth a try? I have a TC electronic rebadged copy of it and find it great for low volume drive sounds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    A RAT?

Or if you want a tighter more focussed RAT, then try  an Ibanez SD9 (not the Maxon reissue).

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Try the Valeton Darktale. Having Bass and Treble instead of the single Filter knob means you can get some of the clarity back. One of the best of the cheap distortions out there.