Bass Noob advice

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

I've found 'scotts bass lessons' on youtube pretty helpful, just for exercises and making me think more bass and less guitar when needed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279

All you need.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can I say ditch the metronome and get a drum machine, cheap as hell, but you can learn to play a groove and also hear where bass drum is, and snare for your damping. 
    Getting a good bassist is not about being bang on time, but being as one with drummer, metronomes train your timekeeping but drum machines train your feel and fills. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    A few videos that helped me get to terms with the bass:

It hardly matters if the songs are not your usual listening music, the videos are suggested to show you how to use the scale notes to make music on your bass.  To be able to play something other than the Root, Fifth & Seventh [simple as these are, they work so don't discard them].

And do try to get playing with other musicians.  Approach drummers who play in your local pub for example.  Playing for 'real' is where it is at, so go for it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum