Any experience of Maxon RTC600 vs SlideRig?

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
I'm currently weighing up upgrading my compressor to one of the above. Having looked at Burgs demo of the Maxon it sounds exactly the kind of sound I'm after but I also like what I've heard of the SlideRig. I like a comp that's not transparent - squeezed with a clicky attack is the sound I'm after. Almost sold on the Maxon but... the SlideRig does sound v good.

Anyone had an opportunity to try out both or either of them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a slide rig, the big box version. It's super squishy, pretty noisy if you push it and certainly not transparent. Not sure about clicky though.
  • Same experience with the Sliderig CD, it's a lovely squishy, clicky sounding pedal which adds something to your tone - something really nice! Same experience with the Cali 76.

Not tried a Maxon, sorry.

Boss CS-2 add similar desired things! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    I jumped - ordered the SlideRig Compact version. The RTC sounds very nice and I've had good experiences with Maxon gear - they ended my search for the perfect chorus and phaser (CS550 and PH350) - but the SlideRig is eighty quid cheaper and Burgs review has the sound I'm after.

I currently have a bunch of comps (inc the CS-2, you're right @Jonathanthomas83, it does sound very good but doesn't give the exaggerated effect I'm after). I've created the sound in the past using two comps together, so the SlideRig, which does the same thing, should hopefully end the search.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @JezWynd yeah, the dual compression on the SR is awesome, good choice, sir. I love mine!

• Good choice - sure you'll love it.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    I got a big box SlideRig last week and it is easily the best comp I have used, of a good few. Properly inspiring, which I know sounds OTT for a comp but trust me

Thanks guys, looks like I made a good choice. I went with the standard 3 knob version - blending isn't of much interest to me and I like the simplicity.
    JezWynd said:
    Thanks guys, looks like I made a good choice. 
    Or maybe not. It's undoubtedly a great pedal and imparts a lovely dense chime to chords and, predictably, has incredible sustain (I thought it was self oscillating when I fed it into a POG2, it was never-ending!) but... it lacked the very defined click and pop I was looking for in the attack.

Looking back on it I should have known, the clue's in the name. It ended well though, I returned it and found a Keeley Compressor Pro on eBay. I had one previously but sold it when I started playing bass more. I'm now veering back to some 6 string and the Keeley Pro is the best comp I've tried outside of the more extreme options (Bearfoot EverGreen, VFE White Horse).

I may well end up with the Maxon if I shift some gear but the Keeley is fine for now.
  • Huh!!! I find that incredible as mine has a very pronounced click and pop, more so than any other compressor I've ever used - and I like extreme settings. Cool though, glad you got it returned and found what you wanted. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Huh!!! I find that incredible as mine has a very pronounced click and pop, more so than any other compressor I've ever used - and I like extreme settings. Cool though, glad you got it returned and found what you wanted. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
    You have the CD version? I went with the basic 3 knob model, perhaps that makes a difference? I found a more defined attack on the big box Cali 76 I tried a while back. It would have been nice to have kept it, it has a gorgeous sound but it didn't tick all the boxes for me. Wonderful bit of kit though, without a doubt.
  • @JezWynd yes I do, could be different, I guess :-)

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    Huh!!! I find that incredible as mine has a very pronounced click and pop, more so than any other compressor I've ever used - and I like extreme settings. Cool though, glad you got it returned and found what you wanted. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
    it is interesting as I'd also say squish and colourstion by the bucket load but click and pop no.. but the big box has a few internal dip switches... maybe I have mine set up differently. Does the compact version also have some internal settings? 
  • Nothing internal, that I know of. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you guys are after. But I definitely think I'm getting plenty of clicks and pops! Haha.