Peavey Rockingham feedback and Mod

I have the Peavey Rocking guitar from way back:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/53142/

@TheMarlin upgraded with Compton bridge etc, . . . An excellent guitar. Intonation is perfect now and a slight shim in the bigsby means the strings align perfectly [now I know the hassle of floating bridges and why they have decided to pin them :-) ] I am starting to bond with this guitar now as I wasn't used to a Gretsch huge body design. I even decided to try some Gretch Guitars out to see how much Gretsch tone the Peavey has. @TheMarlin was of course correct, the boutique pups matched at least the Gretsch 5420s (I couldn't A&B) but I did find the necks on the new guitars were lacking wear and felt grity. The Neck on the Peavey suits me better, slightly thinner.

Question: I don't like the knobs on the Peavey. This is subjective but I can see the nut below the knob and IMO the knobs are too large [enough with the phnaar phnaar please :-) ] I know about strats etc but can I replace the knobs on the Peavey with say Gretsch knobs? I'm not trying to pass the guitar off as a Gretsch or try to make my Peavey into a Gretsch i just think a design fault In my opinion - just not smooth enough for me.

I'd like this change to be reversible if poss.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    The knobs are removable so can be replaced no problem.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 617
    Cheers Rox. Is it a standard tension based system? This has like a nut on top of the washer - maybe to stop spinning?
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    I had a Rockingham and as far as I can remember they were just standard ones that pushed onto the pot splines.  Am I getting the wrong end of the stick here?

The pot itself is fastened by a washer, then a nut on top.

To remove a knob safely, you can slip a piece of cloth underneath like a 'sling' and lift up gently.

Some metal knobs have a small grub screw in the side, so check that they don't have one of those first.  ;)
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    @notanon you got this from me, and as you know I got this from @TheMarlin who did the modifications - or got Ash from OilCity to do them perhaps.  The Marlin got it from @musicman100 I think...

Anyway, glad you are getting on with it, and it should be really easy to change the control knobs, either just pull off, or with some types, there may be a very small retaining screw - I really can't recall with that one.

I couldn't get on with the flatwound strings that were fitted, and still have a couple of similar guitars, so I'm glad it found a new home, sounds like you are gradually getting it just the way you want it!
  • Bloody hell this poor guitar has done the rounds.

I'm glad you are liking it.
    I can't believe it's been sold so many time since I had it.
    It was a nice guitar. 
    @Rox ;
    Cheers for confirmation - so standard method then.

@musicman100 Yep you aren't kidding, it must be one of the most photographed on the web on a parr with Springstein's tele I think :-) I did a search for Rockingham and it shows up in a few places - I tracked the checked the grain on the body.

@Richh I think flat 11s weren't they? They are incredibly kind to the frets and I like the slinky feel and almost noiseless aspect but I'm better suited to 10s and the Bigsby is happy enough with that for my style.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8068
    I wouldn't have sold it if I didn't have such a variable Job.  Self employment can result in periods of 'downtime'. 
    I buy guitars when money is good, and sell when it's bad.  I don't do it to make money (I never make money on guitars), I do it because I love guitars. 

This Rockingham is a fine guitar. 

Note. Get some cello rosin.  When you next change strings, rub the bridge base with rosin, then restring. 

It wont move again, and it won't affect the finish 

enjoy

Marlin :)
    I think the strings were flatwound 11's, totally alien to me unfortunately

Especially for string bending, I just couldn't cope with them.  Maybe for jazz or something...
    Strings are easily and cheaply changed :)

I like the woody tone of flatwounds with P90's.  They don't sound good with humbucker though
    @TheMarlin ;
    Yep agreed strings are cheaply usually I will treat my guitars with new strings regularly. Those Thomastik flatwound are are a different story. They are now £20 on amazon for a single set. Thomann do them for £14 but £10 shipping!
    True. But they last a very long time.... much longer than roundwound strings. :)
    @TheMarlin with those flatwound 11's are you able to bend the 3rd string up a semitone or full tone?  From some of the music you're into I'd assume you would bend strings, but that 3rd just felt impossible to get to bend up for some reason.

I'd be tempted to try flats on some other guitars, as I have P90's on some, and love them, but if they are that hard to bend on, I don't think I could handle it.
    edited March 2017
    I am a big bender, with macho fingers! 
    @Rich ;
    I really don't think I'm weak I was raised on a building site. A whole tone bend at 12th fret G string is okay however a semitone on the G string at 4th fret is hard work. I started to use a different set of strings for 1st 2nd 3rd E B G so ordinary non wound strings for those and then 10s Flat wound  for the 4th 5th 6th D A E. I liked that setup and the tones.