Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Old band names

What's Hot

Comments

• My first originals band was called "John the Milkman". I wouldn't join until they renamed it.

When they changed it to "Rodger the Milkman", that was the final straw.

;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    edited February 2017
    My first band  was Trembling Tim Greenwood and the Aardvarks. Tim Greenwood got the gig because his mum had a keyboard he could borrow and he was the only one of us willing to sing. It was just a bunch of school kids mucking about really although our drummer later went on to play jazz stuff with some famous singers. We changed our name to Franky and the Haddocks when Tim left cos his mum wanted the keyboard back. 

Next one was Zeitgeist. We were supposed to be a Krautrock type thing (I was massively into Can at the time) and we picked a name at random out of a German dictionary without any idea of what it meant. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited February 2017
    We used to be Executive Relief (as Mid-Life Crisis Blues Band was taken) - bassist used to call us Soapy Tit Wank.  Thankfully we've changed it now
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    My first band was called Missing Cat. You might have seen our posters.
  • My first "proper" band was called Crashing Dream (we were all Rain Parade fans) and were very much inspired by the better Paisley Underground bands and early REM. That lasted for roughly a year and ended up morphing into a dreampop/shoegaze band which went by the name of Melt. That also lasted around a year before we realised that no one wanted to hear swirly guitar noises any more. Thanks, Britpop! :cry:

I pretty much gave up playing guitar for the next decade, invested in some synths and tried my hand at IDM, with mixed results. After realising that I was no Richard D. James, I went down the downtempo/electronica route, as that seemed to be where I was most comfortable. I ended up going by my username, as I couldn't think of anything better. As soon as I do, the name will change. The few things I finished that I'm reasonably happy with are on Reverbnation, including some very early, more banging stuff. I'll probably take those off soon, as I really don't like them any more. I'm still writing, but prolific I ain't!

After a stint playing bass, guitar and keys with a Manc band that I won't name, as it all went horribly wrong and I'd rather not be associated with them. I played bass in a band a mate got together. He really wanted to call it Steaming Manholes (you know, like you get in New York), but no one got that reference and after being the butt (sorry!) of too many gay sex jokes, the name Have Yacht/Have Not was decided on, basically as it was the name that everyone hated least! This was also very short lived, mainly as my mate became a father and he was too knackered to do it anymore, but in the short time we were together, we did a few gigs, were interviewed on BBC 3CR five days after sending in a demo and played a live session on there a few months later.

After that I joined Burning Codes for around a month, but it was obvious that I wasn't what they were looking for, so I left. I did one gig with them, which was fun.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2982
    Spraying Young Rice Plants in China.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6197
    tFB Trader
    we once hired a band called "buster hymen and the penetrators" genius
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Nikko said:
    My first band was called Rapeseed (Punk and hard rock band)... because we practiced in a shed in the middle of a field of rape and the singers dog used to run about and get all yellow.

That sounds familiar...don't suppose you ever played at 'The Square' in Harlow, Essex, did you? How long ago was this?

Actually, scrap that, I was thinking of a punk band called Oilseed Rape.

...as you were.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • Was in a band called Bandykoot many moons ago, originally taken from the game Crash Bandicoot, although the name was chosen before my tenure in the band, so no idea why it was spelled with a "y" and a "k".

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    Dark Eagle
    Funkin' Our Souls (never used, but much discussed)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14314
    tFB Trader
    I fancied  either Matt Vinyl and The Decorators or Cliff Rescue and The Hellicopters
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I fancied  either Matt Vinyl and The Decorators or Cliff Rescue and The Hellicopters
    Jim Bag and the Treadmills?
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    edited February 2017
    I hate band names. I've been in:

Oggy Turbo (who later changed their name to...)
    Smug (who later changed their name to...)
    Razorback Suckerfish
    Psychotic Reaction
    Gramarye
    Copper Goggles (who later changed their name to...)
    Biological Dad
    Deadmelody

my last band was with a singer-songwriter called Elizabeth Cornish. We kept talking about having a name for the band (Elizabeth Cornish and (the) ______/s), but never arrived at anything we liked. 

There used to be a band in Derby when I lived there called Space Monkey Mafia. I thought that was cool, but most band names are bloody awful.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    edited February 2017
    Nikko said:
    My first band was called Rapeseed (Punk and hard rock band)... because we practiced in a shed in the middle of a field of rape and the singers dog used to run about and get all yellow.

That sounds familiar...don't suppose you ever played at 'The Square' in Harlow, Essex, did you? How long ago was this?

1996 - 2000. we played a lot of gigs and certainly some in Essex, but that doesn't ring any bells.

Au: 

Nikko said:
    Nikko said:

Actually, scrap that, I was thinking of a punk band called Oilseed Rape.

...as you were.

Never mind :)

my last band was with a singer-songwriter called Elizabeth Cornish. We kept talking about having a name for the band (Elizabeth Cornish and (the) ______/s), but never arrived at anything we liked
    And you didn't go with Pasties??
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16126
    There is a band out there at the moment called The Front Bottoms ...................love it !

• my last band was with a singer-songwriter called Elizabeth Cornish. We kept talking about having a name for the band (Elizabeth Cornish and (the) ______/s), but never arrived at anything we liked
    Nope. Nor the Pixies, the Clotted Creams, the Surfboards, the Weird Hippy People or the Frustrating Lack of Decent Roads. I was in that band for three years and I was sick of every last Cornish joke. I can't imagine what a lifetime of it is like.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

my last band was with a singer-songwriter called Elizabeth Cornish. We kept talking about having a name for the band (Elizabeth Cornish and (the) ______/s), but never arrived at anything we liked
    Nope. Nor the Pixies, the Clotted Creams, the Surfboards, the Weird Hippy People or the Frustrating Lack of Decent Roads. I was in that band for three years and I was sick of every last Cornish joke. I can't imagine what a lifetime of it is like.
    Depressing I imagine....!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    proggy said:
    My first band was called Missing Cat. You might have seen our posters.
    Similar to a mate of mine from Newcastle: his band was called Free Beer. "Free Beer here tonight!"  

I just remembered there was a band called Far Canal that always featured in the gig guide in the Melody Maker in the 70s. Took me ages to get the joke. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14314
    tFB Trader
    I always find it interesting when a band changes its name as though the old one is crap - to a degree they are all crap until you make it, then does it matter - Granted The Beatles morphed through name changes, but what made The Beatles successful was not the name, but what is behind the name - The name becomes just a brand for you to identify it from others

Let's assume these names have not yet been used in the past, so who is to say that The Jam or The Who are good, silly or crap names - Same applies to Nike or Apple