Android handset recommendations

What's Hot
Looking at a new Android handset to replace my ageing Moto 4G. My first thought was Moto G4 Plus which looks well spec'd but I've heard a couple of disappointing reviews so best consider other options.

OnePlus 3 / 3T is another option.

And my son has an LG G5 which he loves, though it's a bit pricey.

What else is there in the <£400 market?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got a Samsung S6, which is basically the best phone I've ever owned. Rock solid, never gets hot, fast as you like (both in terms of processor and network)...using it is totally a frustration-less experience. The phone-calls-over-wifi thing works perfectly, too (which is great, because EE's 4G is utterly shit in Stamford...much less so in Peterborough).
    <space for hire>
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1307
    MOTO G5 on the way, looks okay, won't come close to the top end of your budget either.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    two of my mates swear by their Oukitel handsets. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    The Moto models seem to be pretty great if you want something cheap and close to stock Android. I can't stand the Samsung iteration of Android.

Nexus 5 is an option too. Now that the 5X is out, the 5 can be had pretty cheaply, some places still sell it 'new' too.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 990
    A happy user of the OnePlus3 here, I bought it before the T model became available but am happy with my slightly older model.

Only differences afaik is that it has a newer Snapdragon CPU, double storage from 64GB to 128GB & a better selfie cam. 

Good budget smartphone roundup here;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28536
    Looking at a new Android handset to replace my ageing Moto 4G. My first thought was Moto G4 Plus which looks well spec'd but I've heard a couple of disappointing reviews so best consider other options.
    I have a G4 Plus, and it seems to do the job pretty nicely. Charges very quickly, has a good 50% charge left after a day of hard use. It is a bit big, but not quite ridiculously so.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the LG g5 truly brilliant phone with 2 outstanding cameras with one being wide angled which bus a huge plus,.. Go to cex you can get one for 330 and you have a 2 year warranty 
  • Another vote for Moto, I've got a G3. It's excellent and (relatively) inexpensive.
  • Thanks folks....not! You were supposed to come and here and either tell me why a handset was total garbage, or why one was head and shoulders above the rest. Not tell me they're all good! I'm no further forward and will have to do some thinking of my own. Grr!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Phones are much of a muchness these days. It's mostly down to personal preference and what features are important to you.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28536
    Thanks folks....not! You were supposed to come and here and either tell me why a handset was total garbage, or why one was head and shoulders above the rest. Not tell me they're all good! I'm no further forward and will have to do some thinking of my own. Grr!
    Buy one of those ridiculously cheap Chinese ones with the backdoors.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 990
    Watch that video, its worth 18minutes of your time if your gonna spend upto £400.
  • Sporky said:
    Thanks folks....not! You were supposed to come and here and either tell me why a handset was total garbage, or why one was head and shoulders above the rest. Not tell me they're all good! I'm no further forward and will have to do some thinking of my own. Grr!
    Buy one of those ridiculously cheap Chinese ones with the backdoors.
    No. My son had a Wileyfox something-or-other for a while but it didn't behave for long and it was hassle to sort out. I've been put off the lesser known brands.

I'm still leaning towards the OnePlus 3T