Windows 7 laptop

What's Hot

I'm looking to buy a new... cheap-ish... Windows 7 (or Windows 7 Pro) laptop.  It's going to be used for very, very basic things (surfing and not much else) - so it won't be my main machine.

In recent years, I've bought HP... but they're phasing out W7 machines (as I guess are most manufacturers)... and their cheapest in stock at the moment is over £1k... which is total overkill for what I want.

Any advice on where to get one?

I'm a technological idiot... so loading W7 onto a machine is not something I want to get involved in... I just want to buy a ready sorted laptop.

Thanks for your help.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    Second hand or refurbished IMO given what you are looking for. Lots of win 7 bargains to be had.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Why W7? It's awful - W10 loads faster and is far more reliable. Just buy a low end Dell - they had some amazing deals on a few weeks ago.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • notanon said:
    Second hand or refurbished IMO given what you are looking for. Lots of win 7 bargains to be had.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd like to avoid second hand or refurb if possible.

• Fretwired said:
    Why W7? It's awful - W10 loads faster and is far more reliable. Just buy a low end Dell - they had some amazing deals on a few weeks ago.

Thanks. However, it's got to be W7.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @quarky and @Bridgehouse. Thanks.

I believe security patching will still be available for about 3 years.

Mainstream support ended in Jan 2015... but extended support runs until Jan 2020.

@quarky and @Bridgehouse. Thanks.

Mainstream support ended in Jan 2015... but extended support runs until Jan 2020.

Unless you have a specific app that won't run on win 10 then don't risk it - the problem with post sales updates is they become less frequent as MS scale back development and tend to roll up stuff into bigger less frequent patches. They also only concentrate on the critical stuff and other things get shelved.

XP got pretty ropey towards the end. I reckon there's 12-18 months of good win 7 updates left, if that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @quarky and @Bridgehouse. Thanks.

Unless you have a specific app that won't run on win 10 then don't risk it - the problem with post sales updates is they become less frequent as MS scale back development and tend to roll up stuff into bigger less frequent patches. They also only concentrate on the critical stuff and other things get shelved.

XP got pretty ropey towards the end. I reckon there's 12-18 months of good win 7 updates left, if that

Yeah... good point!  Thanks

@quarky and @Bridgehouse. Thanks.

Yeah... good point!  Thanks
    I may be on 4 strings but I haven't lost all me marbles ;)
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3525
    Why windows 7? You can get windows 7 apps to run on windows 10 very easily.

Google ''dell outlet'', its their seconds shop, I got a PC with a few hundred quid knocked off it because it had a scratch on it, it never left the factory, full warranty and Dell Customer backup, well worth it. The scratch is about the size of my thumbnail. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Funnily enough, my good lady has a surplus to requirements HP laptop with a brand new battery and Win 7 Ultimate she is planning on getting rid of now that she has seen the light and got herself a Mac! ;-) I could get the specs for you at the weekend if you are interested?
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Is there a reason for wanting Win 7?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    A good W7 lappie is a Thinkpad T410

Have had three now which I have set up for customers and family and all been excellent performers and reliable. Plenty of refurbs out there around the £140-£165 mark
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    A good W7 lappie is a Thinkpad T410

Have had three now which I have set up for customers and family and all been excellent performers and reliable. Plenty of refurbs out there around the £140-£165 mark
    That is a good Win 7 laptop and has more in common with the build quality of the original T series than the later Lenovo machines. 

www.2020studios.co.uk