Going mad with electronics help

hi all about 6 weeks ago I posted that I was having a buzzing from a new build I am doing it was suggested that I shield the cavities. I have stripped all electrics out and painted cavities with shielding paint, changed all the pots for new 500k mini cts, checked all my joints as I have gone for continuity and everything ok, followed the Seymour Duncan wiring diagram to the letter 

and guess what......still a damn buzz....gets worse when you touch the bridge as it did, all volumes work again the buzz get worse when the tone pots are played with

what am I doing wrong!....help needed before I go mad

cheers guys

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28946
    Worse when you touch the bridge?

Have you checked you've got signal and ground the right way on the output jack?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 667
    tFB Trader
    I've had this issue when I've accidentally hooked up ground and signal the wrong way to an output jack before.

Check for shorts rather than bad connections next, would be my advice.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    You've got a grounding issue somewhere chap. Could you post the circuit diagram you used and a pic of your gubbins?
  • Hi guys going to check the jack tomorrow as this kind of makes sense 

yes it does get worse when you touch the bridge @Sporky ;

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72854
    If it's noisy and gets worse when you touch the bridge, but otherwise works, the jack is wired backwards.

If it makes you feel better I did that a couple of weeks ago, I have no idea how! It's not like I haven't wired thousands of jacks :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TimberGTimberG Frets: 50
    Cheers @ICBM , I am going to try this this evening so will report back, Its interesting I have been doing a little research on Jack plugs and think I have wired two guitars backwards as I have the same problem on another guitar. 

Note to oneself more hast less speed....oh and check the ground before wiring a Jack
  • TimberGTimberG Frets: 50
    Well I can't believe what a noooob I've been 

thanks guys your correct the jack was wired the wrong way 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72854
    TimberG said:
    Well I can't believe what a noooob I've been
    The one I did - after thirty years of this - the other week was on a 335-type guitar :). Luckily - and actually quite untypically - I hadn't overly neatened the wiring so I was able to get it back out far enough to fix just by dropping the nearest tone control into the guitar, not the whole wiring loom.

Still not sure how I did it, but these things happen...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein