HiFi amp, what do I need?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3525
    A good way to get cheap gear is to go on EBay, look in the hifi section at complete systems and choose nearest first, people wont post these and sometimes you can get lucky.

If you could push the boat out or put in a cheeky offer I can vouch for these, really really good little amps, apparently designed by Quad , the dual concentric potentiometer is pretty much unobtainable unless you do away with separate volume controls for left and right so make sure the volume knob works and its not dropping out on either channel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/wharfedale-2050a-amplifier-/282367391537?hash=item41be687731:g:CMQAAOSwtfhYqtd~

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11950
    that amp looks worth about £10, and is too  shallow. Big PSUs need more height unless it is digital, which it isn't and you don't really want that anyway for this.
    for mass-produced  Japanese/far east amps/receivers,  just look for the weight
    if you need both hands to lift it,  the PSU  will be  meaty.  Makers don't add that for no reason
    some  AV amps sound ok, but either way, ideally get a high power  plain amp,  100w a channel or more
    Toroidal transformers take up no space at all and weigh very little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    Toroidal transformers take up no space at all and weigh very little.
    not the ones in the amps I have had - they were powerful amps and thus weighed a lot, even though  toroidal. My NAD C370 weighed plenty

I'm just pointing out the easiest thing to check when buying used cheap hifi amps:
    no one makes really heavy low-spec amps

you can find high spec low-power amps that aren't cheap
    but looking for bargains,  just look for  a heavy amp from a brand you know 

btw 
    to save me typing it, here's why 150w-200w a channel amps are excellent for hifis:
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/0907/

I had an old Pioneer SA-7500 a fair few years back, Lovely big thing, weighed an absolute ton, sounded like crap,  massive big transformers in it.
    This is the inside of a Wharfedale 2050A, lovely sounding thing, quite a low profile and not very heavy at all, but really, its a lovely sounding amp. They don't really need to be heavy unless for damping reasons or you want something with a lot of power, 50WPC is way way more than Ill ever use.

I have a Marantz PM6010 KI here and its got a massive toroidal tranny in it, does it need it? I'm not convinced it does. 
    robgilmo said:
    I had an old Pioneer SA-7500 a fair few years back, Lovely big thing, weighed an absolute ton, sounded like crap,  massive big transformers in it.
    This is the inside of a Wharfedale 2050A, lovely sounding thing, quite a low profile and not very heavy at all, but really, its a lovely sounding amp. They don't really need to be heavy unless for damping reasons or you want something with a lot of power, 50WPC is way way more than Ill ever use.

I have a Marantz PM6010 KI here and its got a massive toroidal tranny in it, does it need it? I'm not convinced it does. 
    wrong, unless you listen to music very quietly, or enjoy distortion. 50w is way too low for CDs with proper dynamic range
    robgilmo said:

just looked up the  Pioneer SA-7500 
    all the reviews are good
    you must have had a duff one
    robgilmo said:

wrong, unless you listen to music very quietly, or enjoy distortion. 50w is way too low for CDs with proper dynamic range

Really? Perhaps my speakers (Yamaha NS670) are too efficient, so considering the operating power is 6.3 watts to obtain 96dB at one meter, I cant be arsed, can you do the math? Put it this way, my amp never gets driven at very high volume, it doesn't have to.
    The Pioneer, don't get me wrong , it was a nice amp, but by todays standards it was pretty coloured and muddy, but its one of those things, like guitar tones, one mans poison is another mans audio nirvana, some will like it and some will like the opposite. I was sad to see it go though.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited March 2017
    I got an Arcam Delta 290 as I've always wanted one, the selector switch gets buggered over time so you run the phono inputs through the tape loop and use record selector to choose source. Great phono stage, Aux, CD, Tuner and AV inputs and four speaker outputs and preamp outputs so you can wire an active sub in on the preamp out.  Have a Sony BM10 bluetooth receiver in the aux and the TV was in the AV.

The BM10 does Apt-x codec apparently, not that I'd know or use it and hooks up to Android devices easily with no drop outs and also the Logilink Bluetooth V4.0 USB adapter for a computer running Windows 7 or 10.  The Sony has phono out and a some sort of DAC in it, so you simply just connect it to the aux with phono plugs.  The Logilink also does Apt-x. apparently, although I mostly just stream YouTube.

So yeah, I'd focus on getting a good amp or maybe a more modern receiver, depending on what your speaker set up is and what you primarily want to use it for and not worry about digital connections at all, just buy a separate bluetooth receiver.

Alpha 9's are similar amps.

PS. Mine looks bigger than yours.

Image result for arcam delta 290

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:

Really? Perhaps my speakers (Yamaha NS670) are too efficient, so considering the operating power is 6.3 watts to obtain 96dB at one meter, I cant be arsed, can you do the math? Put it this way, my amp never gets driven at very high volume, it doesn't have to.
    The Pioneer, don't get me wrong , it was a nice amp, but by todays standards it was pretty coloured and muddy, but its one of those things, like guitar tones, one mans poison is another mans audio nirvana, some will like it and some will like the opposite. I was sad to see it go though.
    It's surprising to most people
    I've done the math before,  not enough time this morning, dBs/dBv/dBw and are hard to explain, that link I posted covers most of it, but I'll summarise:

To handle transients properly on a hifi you need a lot of headroom
    Good CD masters have  far more headroom than LPs, 7 or 8dB more I think
    to play at the same apparent volume as an LP with a good CD needs about 3 or 4 times the max power to avoid distortion
    Most hifi speakers are not very efficient, 86dB at most  at 1w/1m
    My 1970s tannoy Ardens  were 91dB, nevertheless, I drove them first with a 160w or 200w  mosfet power amp on each side, then using a NAD C370, which peaks at 180w a channel. This was for studio monitoring and pleasure
    Eventually, the NAD failed, and I had to use a lower power amp for a while. Immediately, the drum samples sound wrong, the  overall sound on a good mix was distorted, since  now the peaks were  being cutoff by distortion. This is a real thing.

Have a look  at the power rating on near and mid-field studio monitors: these are not made powerful  because of a hifi cork sniffer's fad, it's a fact that studio engineers demand  headroom to be able to hear the music properly

My ones  are here:  http://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/CMS-65-specification-sheet-2962.pdf
    100w for the woofer and 60w the tweeter on each side
    Even with that, it's not enough to handle bass properly, so most use an add-on subwoofer, as I do:
    http://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/CMS-Sub-Specification-sheet-3014.pdf
    that is 300W, and enables me to filter some  bass from the  near/mid speakers, which are a bit weedy on 100w each  to be able to do bass properly

Main studio monitors are  far larger and more powerful,  I've seen  200W+ 

see this:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/studio-monitors-buying-guide/#power
    Power – How Many Watts Do I Need?
    In a studio monitoring system, the power handling of the system is going to have a big effect on the overall sound, and not just in terms of volume. It also determines your dynamic range, the amount of headroom you have before signals peak. Higher wattage means you’ll be able to hear more transient detail, and you’ll be better able to make precise adjustments to compressors, limiters, and gates.
    Said another way, if you listen to a mix on two monitoring systems with different wattages at the same average volume level, the higher wattage system will give you more headroom. Many people are unaware that music peaks (transients like snare hits or kick drums) can demand as much as 10X (yes, TEN TIMES) as much power as average music program material. So for a given volume level that might demand an average of 20 watts, the program peaks could require as much as 200 watts. If you have an amp that can deliver a clean 70 watts, then you’ll be 130 watts shy of what you need. That results in greater distortion and possibly clipping during that musical peak, and for a kick drum in most pop music, that happens very often. While you don’t necessarily need the highest possible power rating, keep in mind that more wattage will produce more definition and dynamic range, not just overall volume.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    This is exactly the same reason as why a lot of people don't understand why some of us still like 100W guitar amps when a cranked 15W amp is loud enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    This is exactly the same reason as why a lot of people don't understand why some of us still like 100W guitar amps when a cranked 15W amp is loud enough.
    yes, my real amps are 30w up to 100w, which I play in the house - but clean

I'll start on Fourier analysis of OD signals next if you want ;-) 
    This is all interesting stuff, I'll check those links out Tc when I get a chance to.
    edited March 2017
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/speaker_spl_amp_power.htm

Required Power: The RMS watts per channel required to produce music at the desired SPL at the listening position.

speaker sens. (1w/1M)listener distancedesired SPLamp. headroomrequired power
    104db15' (4.6M)90db15db27 watts
    101db15' (4.6M)90db15db53 watts
    98db15' (4.6M)90db15db106 watts
    95db15' (4.6M)90db15db212 watts
    92db15' (4.6M)90db15db422 watts
    89db15' (4.6M)90db15db842 watts
    86db15' (4.6M)90db15db1681 watts
    83db15' (4.6M)90db15db3354 watts
    80db15' (4.6M)90db15db6691 watts
    77db15' (4.6M)90db15db13,351 watts
    104db8' (2.46M)80db15db1 watt
    101db8' (2.46M)80db15db2 watts
    98db8' (2.46M)80db15db3 watts
    95db8' (2.46M)80db15db6 watts
    92db8' (2.46M)80db15db12 watts
    89db8' (2.46M)80db15db24 watts
    86db8' (2.46M)80db15db48 watts
    83db8' (2.46M)80db15db96 watts
    80db8' (2.46M)80db15db191 watts
    77db8' (2.46M)80db15db382 watts
    Just had a quick play, got up to 77 dB then got shouted at, 1 meter away, amp at 1 o'clock.
    Got to 82 db, speakers started to distort, amp at 1-2 o'clock, that was well beyond any kind of comfortable listening levels. If that's what it takes to bring out the full potential of a CD then WTF? Really?
    Its not that I doubt what you are saying, but for home listening do you really have it up that loud?

Speakers specs are Crossover: 800Hz, 6,000 Hz (12db/Octave)
    Fundemental resonance frequency 45Hz
    Impedance 8 ohms
    Output sound pressure level 96db/1m 6.3 watts input
    Normal capacity (Maximum input capacity) 50W
    Frequency response 40-20,000 (50-20K + - 3db)

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Sambostar said:
    I got an Arcam Delta 290 as I've always wanted one, the selector switch gets buggered over time so you run the phono inputs through the tape loop and use record selector to choose source. Great phono stage, Aux, CD, Tuner and AV inputs and four speaker outputs and preamp outputs so you can wire an active sub in on the preamp out.  Have a Sony BM10 bluetooth receiver in the aux and the TV was in the AV.

The BM10 does Apt-x codec apparently, not that I'd know or use it and hooks up to Android devices easily with no drop outs and also the Logilink Bluetooth V4.0 USB adapter for a computer running Windows 7 or 10.  The Sony has phono out and a some sort of DAC in it, so you simply just connect it to the aux with phono plugs.  The Logilink also does Apt-x. apparently, although I mostly just stream YouTube.

So yeah, I'd focus on getting a good amp or maybe a more modern receiver, depending on what your speaker set up is and what you primarily want to use it for and not worry about digital connections at all, just buy a separate bluetooth receiver.

Alpha 9's are similar amps.

PS. Mine looks bigger than yours.

Image result for arcam delta 290

I recently got the new wee Arcam. Not particularly heavy, not particularly powerful but sounds really nice - looks reasonably similar still!

-

Less is more.