Does a " Made in China" sticker bring a potential amp purchase to a screeching halt ?

What's Hot

Comments

• TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    There might be a pattern emerging with Telejester maybe;

He did launch "the biggest pile of scrap" car and the "DESPISE" Tv  thread....

Sometimes, its easier just to moan...

I sure did and the pile of scrap cars thread is an absolute hoot, give it a read.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9539

I sure did and the pile of scrap cars thread is an absolute hoot, give it a read.
    I must admit, I owned a few crap uns in my time :)
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    What if the US manufacturers employ workers of Chinese ethnicity?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    What if the US manufacturers employ workers of Chinese ethnicity?
    There's an infamous case where a Rickenbacker factory photo from the early days showing exactly that, was later 'doctored' to apparently show a white worker, when used in one of their catalogues.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    The company that commissions the work, wherever it may be done, is generally responsible for the quality.  They set out which components to use and are well aware of the quality of workmanship. Your issue is with the IP owner whoever that may be. Perhaps it would be useful to clarify that. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    John_A said:
    Nationality has nothing to do with it. There are craftsmen everywhere, probably more in China simply because of the population. Obviously a guitar that comes out of a Chinese factory and sells for £100 isn't going to be amazing but I have no doubt they could knock out a custom shop quality guitar for half the cost of a USA one and it would be as good or better
    100% agree.

I have a Japanese black paisley custom shop strat. It's the best guitar I've ever played. It's all about who made it vs cost. Not where.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Buying Chinese now would awful. It would be like buying a Japanese guitar or pedal from around 1980. No one would want that, would they? :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Reverend said:
    Buying Chinese now would awful. It would be like buying a Japanese guitar or pedal from around 1980. No one would want that, would they? :)

Dead right!  I'm about to drop my 1979 Tokai LS80 in the skip ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    John_A said:
    Reverend said:

Dead right!  I'm about to drop my 1979 Tokai LS80 in the skip ;)

Which skip?

;)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    On the OP - depends what I'm looking for. No qualms buying Behringer anything for a specific purpose, their 19" DI, Limiters, graphic EQ etc are just the job.

The 2 amps I have that need fixing are both US made (Mesa Boogie) - re-valved them both but farting noises persist.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Jalapeno said:

The 2 amps I have that need fixing are both US made (Mesa Boogie) - re-valved them both but farting noises persist.
    Are you sure it's the amps? ;)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Aren't the Chinese setting foot on the Moon soon??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Aren't the Chinese setting foot on the Moon soon??
    I'd take a bet they will before the Americans (if ever) go back, and that they'll be the first to send people to Mars too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Jalapeno said:

Are you sure it's the amps? ;)
    Very good ! ;)

Yep - one's a Nomad, notorious for going wonky (although it gave 10yrs faultless service).  The other a Subway Rocket that works on clean but doesn't on dirty - I want the Rocket fixed, but the Mini Rectifier has killed the need for getting the Nomad fixed (for the umpteenth time).

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Jalapeno said:
    On the OP - depends what I'm looking for. No qualms buying Behringer anything for a specific purpose, their 19" DI, Limiters, graphic EQ etc are just the job.

Well if you insist on playing after you have had a curry, what do you expect ?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    I've gone over to using Jet City amps exclusively over the last couple of years and own three of them at the moment with a couple more looking likely in the near future. 

But let's not get too nostalgic about older Japanese goods, my first car was a Datsun Cherry and was one of the shittiest things ever made. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited March 2017
    Had a Datsun Cherry too, but it hasn't stopped me wanting a Nissan GTR   I think the point is companies wherever they are will make things to a price-point to suit a certain market whether that's low-end or high-end.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    DasTurnip said:
    Also I recently got a look inside a handwired Chinese Blackstar Artisan and it was immaculate. The idea that everything from China is terribly made seems quite outdated, there's good and bad.

And! "we" had a sample Artisan made in UK (famous'ish but no names) and it was a mess. Worked but NOT pretty.

Dave.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4819
    I've had gear thats been manufactured in various parts of the world and like guys above say its down to the company specifying what they want and qc'ing the products. My Orange Dual Terror was made in China and sounded mint, as mint as the TT Hard Wired I bought eventually, no but it was very minor differences. Neither was put together better than the other. 

Away from amps I have a Freshman acoustic that was made in China, £450rrp and the equal of any sub £1300 US made acoustic sound and playablility wise. Love that guitar!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    There was a time when I stayed clear of Chinese guitars. Not now though.