Bucking the Helix trend.....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Damn you guys!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited March 2017
    For those of us who can't afford an Ax or Helix and want quality 4 cable or Direct to PA at a much more entry level price.  I can't recommend GSP1101 highly enough.  With c63 firmware and ability to load 10 user IR files and improved/extra amp models, better midi options to control extrnal preamps etc.  To my ears it's still up with an AxeFX unit unless you really start digging into all the wee lower level settings in the AxeFX when with a lot of work will then sound better.

not only will it do 4 cable it will switch between modelled and non modelled on preset or global basis.  So you can have modelled on xlr or 1/4" or non modelled on both or modelled on XLR but not on 1/4" so it will cover every eventuality.  If your using a specific cab you can even apply a global cab/ir file to all presets so your cabinet and xlr to pa sound the same

and thank god switching between presets is instant :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ok i canny do multiple model routes like helix... Well ok, I could actually do that... A 2nd GSP connected with midi and an aby in front of them and I could run diff presets on each or set up same preset as diff sound on both add a bit of delay on one and sound like two guitarists.  And of buying s/h could still come in well under half price of helix.  And the one control 2 would switch both units with midi through switched on :)
    edited March 2017
    Not suggesting everyone run out and buy a gsp... But am suggesting worth a try if modelling instead pedal board or an all in one di solution is something you'd like but are never gonna be in market for Axe or Helix due to price (well at least not for another 4-5yr till price s/h is atainable
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    edited March 2017
    So excited. My AX8 is now in the country - due for delivery tomorrow. 
    I've been gorging on YouTube videos of some of the things it can do - just amazing. 
    Can't wait to get my mitts on it.
    It's like being a kid at Christmas all over again!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool.

Let us know what you think. 
    What I think at the moment, is that if this thing doesn't cure my gear GAS, I'm doomed! What strikes me is the enormous range of ways you can manipulate your tone, how you can assign switches and controllers to do all manner of things that you could never do in the analogue world.

i think the biggest limitation will be my imagination...

It's been quite a while since I've been so excited about a new bit of gear and i think it's gonna be an exciting journey...
  • Have you had a go yet?
    It arrived late yesterday (6.25pm - thanks UPS!!) so didn't have a chance to have a play until this morning. 
    Oh my bloody word! What a bit of kit!
    I've only really had a blast through the presets but the 3 things that have immediately stood out are:
    1) It sounds bloody brilliant - the drive tones haven't got that digital fizz I've heard in other modelers.
    2) The amps are really dynamic and clean up brilliantly from rolling off your guitar’s volume. 
    3) Basic tweaking on the unit is dead easy.

Can't wait to give it some beans at rehearsal tomorrow. Just going to create a couple of basic presets and see how we go.

Initial impressions are very positive. So much so that it's already velcroed to it's own pedalboard - details and pics to follow..

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    The Quantum 7 beta was released today too so it'll get even better. I'd wait for the proper release though as there are a few minor bugs reported in the beta.

But yes, everything you've reported I've also found with mine. 

With all the options out there these days us guitarists are spoilt 
  • Excellent. 

Yeah I'm on Q7 on Axe FX2, it's nice.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Beexter said:
    It arrived late yesterday (6.25pm - thanks UPS!!) so didn't have a chance to have a play until this morning. 
    Oh my bloody word! What a bit of kit!
    I've only really had a blast through the presets but the 3 things that have immediately stood out are:
    1) It sounds bloody brilliant - the drive tones haven't got that digital fizz I've heard in other modelers.
    2) The amps are really dynamic and clean up brilliantly from rolling off your guitar’s volume. 
    3) Basic tweaking on the unit is dead easy.

Can't wait to give it some beans at rehearsal tomorrow. Just going to create a couple of basic presets and see how we go.

Initial impressions are very positive. So much so that it's already velcroed to it's own pedalboard - details and pics to follow..

+1 to all that, glad you're enjoying it so far :) The lack of that processed sound is the biggest thing for me, first thing I've ever tried that doesn't have that. The only thing I've found is that it's way too addictive - I've basically been playing with three presets since I've got it, purely because they sound so good. Lots more to do! (I also dialled in their Engl-type preset - I don't think I could tell the difference between that and my actual Engl in a blind test...)
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    Have to say that I'm enjoying mine a lot as well and its size is much more convenient than the helix.