Opinions needed on a 65' mustang neck

What's Hot
Wilson94Wilson94 Frets: 44
edited March 2017 in Guitar
hi there. So to cut the first part short someone selling a 65 mustang is willing to trade it for my USA Special Strat + some cash their way.

it looks great in photos and is all original aside from the pickups.

the issue here is that I really do not get along with gloss necks. I'd be really tempted to get the neck sanded down or whatever it needs doing to make it smoother by a luthier but would this really devalue the guitar all that much. Just wondering what your thoughts are, would you do it? Am I mad for considering doing that to a 65' guitar. It's likely I'd keep it but these things are always an investment too
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    edited March 2017
    Its probably fairly de-glossed by now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Its probably fairly de-glossed by now
    Yep, prolly more satin.... I have a 65 Jag and an early 70's Mustang and there is no gloss on either. Have you played the Mustang? The neck on mine is quite thin.
  • Wilson94Wilson94 Frets: 44
    Not yet. Only spoke to the person today about it but would have to travel a decent bit up north to get it. I'm in Guildford but they are in Nottingham. 
    Assuming the gloss finish is still present what are your thoughts then? As I wont know till i try it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72654
    If original the neck won't be very glossy now. If it's too shiny then just de-glossing it won't really affect the value unless the guitar is otherwise in mint condition.

What scale length and width is the neck? This is critical in valuing a Mustang of that age. 'A' width and especially 21.5" scale (often found in combination) are worth significantly less. You can tell very easily from photos - if the last fret dot is at the last fret, it's 21-fret, 21.5" scale. if it's at the second last fret, it's 22-fret, 24" scale. The neck width is harder to tell from pics but usually possible if there's a clear shot of the nut area.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    I don't think it would devalue the instrument. If I were buying a guitar that old I would not expect any gloss on the neck unless it stayed in the case all that time. Have you asked the seller?
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3274
    Had a 64 with an A neck, seriously check that guitar before you hand over your strat. Personally I'd be loathe to do the exchange, early mustangs despite the rose tinted glasses of 'vintage' can in my experience be very underwhelming instruments. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Also, if it is a gloss neck -check for signs of refinishing with a fine tooth comb, including checking authenticity of electrics inside. I'm not saying it can't look like a brand new guitar after 50 years, I've played some mint originals but I am left with a nagging gut feeling when you describe it having a gloss neck after all these years.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    ICBM said:

What scale length and width is the neck? 
    65 feet, according to the title of the OP. Reckon it's maybe a baritone then.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Hi

FWIW The back of my 66 Mustang has no signs of any gloss left, it's nice and matt and great to play. That said they are all different, can you get the seller to send you any pictures as you can usually tell.

cheers
    ICBM said:
    If original the neck won't be very glossy now. If it's too shiny then just de-glossing it won't really affect the value unless the guitar is otherwise in mint condition.

What scale length and width is the neck? This is critical in valuing a Mustang of that age. 'A' width and especially 21.5" scale (often found in combination) are worth significantly less. You can tell very easily from photos - if the last fret dot is at the last fret, it's 21-fret, 21.5" scale. if it's at the second last fret, it's 22-fret, 24" scale. The neck width is harder to tell from pics but usually possible if there's a clear shot of the nut area.
    It's 22 frets and its got a slab neck if that means anything.
    Also, if it is a gloss neck -check for signs of refinishing with a fine tooth comb, including checking authenticity of electrics inside. I'm not saying it can't look like a brand new guitar after 50 years, I've played some mint originals but I am left with a nagging gut feeling when you describe it having a gloss neck after all these years.
    In terms of what they said, they told me this.

Also the neck is gloss, they didn't do satin finishes on Fenders in the
    60's!
    Regards,
    Julian

Still waiting on them to get back in touch but they didnt really say whether it 'was' gloss or if it still is by that message. And I'll definitely check it first, will get a mate to come with me too hopefully. 
    edited March 2017
    ICBM said:

What scale length and width is the neck? 
    65 feet, according to the title of the OP. Reckon it's maybe a baritone then.
    Well played, especially the baritone comment haha
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72654
    Wilson94 said:

It's 22 frets and its got a slab neck if that means anything.
    That's a good start - what width is it? Most 24" Mustangs are Bs, but not all.

If it's the original finish it's unlikely to be very glossy by now, if it's been played much. They were still nitro-finished in '65 and it's pretty thin and wears off quickly in the playing area.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Wilson94 said:

60's!
    Regards,
    Julian

Still waiting on them to get back in touch but they didnt really say whether it 'was' gloss or if it still is by that message. And I'll definitely check it first, will get a mate to come with me too hopefully. 
    Anyone being pushy on 'what they did in the 60s' which is how I read this, is someone trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Sorry dude but this is setting alarm bells off.

He is right they didn't do satin necks, but neither did they do nitro finishes thick enough to still be gloss if they have been played over the last 50 years. 

Its silly things but lift the pickguard, check underneath, and more than anything be willing to walk away.

If I was you, sell the strat and then keep an eye for something on guitar-auction.co.uk if you are desperate for an older guitar. There are bargains  to be had still, but some comeback if things are not as they seem.
    Wilson94 said:

60's!
    Regards,
    Julian

Anyone being pushy on 'what they did in the 60s' which is how I read this, is someone trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Sorry dude but this is setting alarm bells off.

He is right they didn't do satin necks, but neither did they do nitro finishes thick enough to still be gloss if they have been played over the last 50 years. 

Its silly things but lift the pickguard, check underneath, and more than anything be willing to walk away.

If I was you, sell the strat and then keep an eye for something on guitar-auction.co.uk if you are desperate for an older guitar. There are bargains  to be had still, but some comeback if things are not as they seem.
    The reason they mentioned satin finished was because I asked though however. I literally asked if the neck was satin or gloss. Apprecitate the input man, I think I'd still like to check it out but I'll see what my gut feeling is after inspecting the guitar. Would be nice if I had someone who knows their vintage gear to come with me to look at it lol. Will definitely give that website a look though thanks!
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    That's not a Mustang

It's a Duo-Sonic with a Mustang neck
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    Moss said:
    That's not a Mustang

It's a Duo-Sonic with a Mustang neck
    Whats the difference if you dont mind me asking.? In other words a scam? It seems to look like a mustang to me. The other ads look the same shape/hardware etc
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    It lacks the tremolo... The Duo-sonic II looks like a Mustang but has a hard tail bridge...