0.047uF or 0.022uF for coil split Les Paul

What's Hot
wackojackowackojacko Frets: 59
edited March 2017 in Making & Modding
Evening all - looking for a bit of guidance on this,

I want to coil split my Les Paul (2 push pulls as volume controls)
Problem is, I don't know whether to go for 0.047uF or 0.022uF caps.

.022 is perfect for the humbuckers, but would it not be too bright for the single coils?
I'm worried that by using .022's and 500k pots, the single coil tone activated by the push pull pots will become that dreaded ice pick sound.

What would you guys suggest?

Merci
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72854
    If you're using one push-pull per pickup, you can use the extra switch pole to either simulate a 250K volume pot, or change the value of the cap. If it was me I'd go with the volume pot value and keep the.022uF caps - which Fender use on the modern USA models anyway, with single coils. Given that a Les Paul is inherently darker-sounding, you probably don't want a bigger value.

To switch the volume pot value, you need to add a 470K resistor from the volume pot hot to ground when the coil split is active.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thanks @ICBM - as in this photo?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72854
    Yes, exactly.

It may be easier to wire it by connecting it the other way up though, and combining it with the coil split - the red wire to both bottom terminals and the 470K to the middle one on the right, then the coil split wire from the pickup to the middle left. That will shut off the 'slug' coil of the pickup and leave the 'screw' coil active, if it's wired the standard Gibson/Duncan/Dimarzio way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thanks for your help @ICBM ;