Mixing speakers in a 2x12 ?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411

The worry is that the Blue could take 80% of the power (it may have lower impedance at certain frequencies) - and self destruct. I suspect you can run them in series to stop one driver taking all the current, but even then, half of 36w is 18w 

Not really, it will just change the frequency at which more power is delivered to the Blue. It won't be as much as 80%, but it could easily be 60% - which is still bad news considering that 50% is *already* more than the rating of the speaker.

Would I try this with a £200 speaker? No.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    Sorry for the slight derailment, but has anyone tried a gold and a blue? Martin (mjw) is building me a 2x12 soon and this is what I have to go in it. It will be to go with my 36w roadstar head. The whole lot in attention seeking white.

Did you ask Martin?

I thought the Roadstar was more suited to v30s, and the other standard Celestion rock speakers

I can try my roadstar with my 2x12 Gold for you

I am not sure Blue+ Gold will sound much different to 2xGold

The worry is that the Blue could take 80% of the power (it may have lower impedance at certain frequencies) - and self destruct. I suspect you can run them in series to stop one driver taking all the current, but even then, half of 36w is 18w 

I have the Blue in an 18w Roadstar and it sounds superb at all levels and holds together ok. The 36w roadstar sounds great with a Gold in the 1x12 cab I have for it. I got the gold and the blue that are going in the 2 x 12 second hand at good prices so I'll see how it sounds and run the risk. I think for effect I may just have to start shouting quotes from Scotty in Star Trek at the top of my voice every time I hit a pedal.
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    On second thoughts. I just realised a Z Wreck is 30w not 36w. It will be cutting it too fine I might try another combination. This means I might have a spare gold in a week or two. I have 2 but one is 16ohm and the other is 8ohm. Thanks for the advice guys