OMG Moment! Need to sell all unneeded internal organs

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5687

I've owned and played many nice guitars over the years.  Les Pauls, PRSes, which I loved then hated then learned to love again quite recently, Strats and everything in between.

I was quite content with my humble little stable of instruments and then last night some bastard (he calls himself a friend) gave me a Tom Anderson Classic to try.

Man alive - I did not know a guitar could be THIS good in every single way.  It was incredible!

I want one, no..... I need one!

Who wants a kidney?  Do I need my liver?  I can live with just one lung, can't I?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    Haych said:

I've owned and played many nice guitars over the years.  Les Pauls, PRSes, which I loved then hated then learned to love again quite recently, Strats and everything in between.

I was quite content with my humble little stable of instruments and then last night some bastard (he calls himself a friend) gave me a Tom Anderson Classic to try.

Man alive - I did not know a guitar could be THIS good in every single way.  It was incredible!

I want one, no..... I need one!

Who wants a kidney?  Do I need my liver?  I can live with just one lung, can't I?

Tom Anderson is a bit of a legend really. his guitars seem to be almost obsessively built. Like you say every single detail has been thought about. big fan here.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5687

I'd always looked at Anderson guitars and secretly scoffed at them before.  I mean, it's just another Strat/Tele right?  How much difference can there be?  How can that particular design be made any better than what it already is?

Goodness how wrong was I?

I was once asked if I could only have one guitar what would it be, and I'd always feel pained trying to even think of an answer.  After last night I think I could quite happily answer the question now.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    You can manage with one kidney, one lung, and you don't need an entire liver, so I say go for it! Don't forget to post pics!
     :) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• richhrichh Frets: 453
    It seems like used prices are very low for these, compared to new,  so if you buy wisely in the used market, you should always be able to get your money back, in the unlikely event that you want to move it on.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 786
    I looked at, not tried a few and was a bit put off on the classic series to see just 2 screws holding the neck on. Fender got roasted for reducing to 3 in the 70's so can anyone explain this. Is the neck glued as well ?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    Haych said:

I'd always looked at Anderson guitars and secretly scoffed at them before.  I mean, it's just another Strat/Tele right?  How much difference can there be?  How can that particular design be made any better than what it already is?

I was once asked if I could only have one guitar what would it be, and I'd always feel pained trying to even think of an answer.  After last night I think I could quite happily answer the question now.

What do you think, is the X factor that they have?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    gordiji said:
    I looked at, not tried a few and was a bit put off on the classic series to see just 2 screws holding the neck on. Fender got roasted for reducing to 3 in the 70's so can anyone explain this. Is the neck glued as well ?

https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/wedge/
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    gordiji said:
    They use some fancy woodwork to create a 'special' joint apparently. Strength isn't an issue.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4284
     Have owned two, and tried a few more. Never played a bad one. Also never played what I would consider a great guitar. Some nice deals out there on used ones though.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Haych said:

I would like to know this too!
    edited March 2017
    Haych said:

That is a very difficult question to answer with words, if you know what I mean.

It was as if the guitar had been tailor made for me if that makes any sense, it just fell into my hands and felt "right" in a way no other guitar ever has.  Not to mention that it was beautiful to look at but it was beautiful to touch, to feel and it even smelled great.

The attention to detail was incredible, everything designed just so.  The end result being that the finished guitar really is greater than the sum of its parts.

It was a joy to play and I found myself thinking that I'm really not this good at playing guitar, but my playing was above the ability I know I possess.  I was coming out with licks and using techniques that I can't really play all that well but pulling them off very convincingly.  It just made me want to play and to keep playing.

The fretwork is just something else.  I know he uses stainless frets but they were finished to perfection, the ends perfectly rounded with amazing precision - I understand that SS is a dog to work with and some big manufacturers seem not to be able to get it right, or care, with ordinary NS frets.

I saw a video recently of Paul Reed Smith at NAAM apologising to the other guys for making them look like amateurs.  Somebody needs to make a meme on that with Tom Anderson smirking and commenting, "That's cute". 

I still like my guitars but will be working my way towards acquiring an Anderson as soon as I can.

• skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 977
    Playing devils advocate...you might try another one and not get the same feeling....sometimes people try quite a few les Paul's for example before they find the 'one!
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    skaguitar said:
    Playing devils advocate...you might try another one and not get the same feeling....sometimes people try quite a few les Paul's for example before they find the 'one!
    I thought this would be the case too...... I was in World Guitars chatting to smithy and was sufficiently curious to try one. I ended up trying 5 of the 10 that they had on the wall. Honestly not a bad thing to say amongst all of them, they are so light, resonant and incredible to play that I was truly shocked. I didn't even go to try those guitars, I went to try a few PRS as I had something i wanted to trade in.

I walked out with a Tom Anderson Angel (in purple).
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    When I was a kid someone gave me a guitar magazine (the annual Guitar World Buyer's Guide or something?). There was a picture in it of an Anderson Drop Top with a quilted maple top in a kind of orange burst, and I wanted it badly. When my family first got dial-up internet I ran up big bills looking at the Anderson website.

I thought I didn't want one anymore, but you lot are Not Helping.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    Oh dear!  Shit just got real.  Mark at World Guitars has made me a very good offer on a PX for my PRS Custom 22 against a used Drop Top!  Still got to find a helluva lot of money but that's what a credit card is for, surely? ;)

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Haych said:
    Oh dear!  Shit just got real.  Mark at World Guitars has made me a very good offer on a PX for my PRS Custom 22 against a used Drop Top!  Still got to find a helluva lot of money but that's what a credit card is for, surely? ;)
    Do it.

You'll regret it later if you don't.

• bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    usedtobe said:
    You can manage with one kidney, one lung, and you don't need an entire liver, so I say go for it! Don't forget to post pics!
    You want to see pics of his organs? I thought this was a guitar forum 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    bassbora said:
    usedtobe said:
    I like to see a good Hammond. Go for it, I say..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    bassbora said:
    usedtobe said:
    I like to see a good Hammond. Go for it, I say..
    Love it. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Ah!! I finally got to try one at the Guitar Show and can hand on heart say I prefer Suhr's. I always wanted to check this out as a lot of folk seem to prefer Anderson but seems I'm the other way round.