Sugar

What's Hot
quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
Obligatory "Sugar" video:

I am reading a book by this guy at the moment, and it is pretty damn scary just how bad fructose is for you (sucrose (sugar), is pretty much half fructose and half glucose when broken down in your body).

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

My BMI is 21 (I am a bit of a rake), but holy shit, I am glad I seriously cut back on chocolate and fruit juice over the past twelve months. Feel much better about eating fats though!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    quarky said:

I am reading a book by this guy at the moment, and it is pretty damn scary just how bad fructose is for you (sucrose (sugar), is pretty much half fructose and half glucose when broken down in your body)....
    I am glad I seriously cut back on chocolate and fruit juice over the past twelve months. Feel much better about eating fats though!
    Last week I heard a nurse giving dietary advice to a group of patients which is actually the current official line but if you're following this stuff it sounded terribly out of date and just plain wrong in the light of the evidence.
    I actually remember reading John Yudkin's stuff in the 1970s.  I thought he was bonkers because he said he put black pepper on his strawberries rather than sugar. 
    Black pepper on strawberries turns out to be lovely and sugar turned out to be evil.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28571

Also I have cut down on sugar. Except in coffee. Sweetener is, I reckon, worse, and I am not grown enough to like coffee without sugar in it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4725

I don't have fruit juice or smoothies for this reason, far too much sugar.  Half a spoon on Porridge occasionally.

I do look at people drinking massive energy drinks in the morning and wonder what they are doing to themselves, that can't be good.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16136
    I think all this sugar thing is a load of rubbish ............in a year they'll be telling you to eat more sugar
    modern nonsense.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    @quarky damn man, that's not fair man getting the video in first, it's cheating.

My BMI is fine but I couldn't care less about it, but I avoid too much sugar because I've barely got enough teeth left to eat, although that reminds me, I have to buy some listerine on recommendation.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3529
    Grunfeld said:
    quarky said:

I am reading a book by this guy at the moment, and it is pretty damn scary just how bad fructose is for you (sucrose (sugar), is pretty much half fructose and half glucose when broken down in your body)....
    I am glad I seriously cut back on chocolate and fruit juice over the past twelve months. Feel much better about eating fats though!
    Last week I heard a nurse giving dietary advice to a group of patients which is actually the current official line but if you're following this stuff it sounded terribly out of date and just plain wrong in the light of the evidence.
    I actually remember reading John Yudkin's stuff in the 1970s.  I thought he was bonkers because he said he put black pepper on his strawberries rather than sugar. 
    Black pepper on strawberries turns out to be lovely and sugar turned out to be evil.

I put black pepper on ready salted crisps, nothing compares! Couldn't be putting sugar on my ready salted crisps though, that simply wouldn't work.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Love fruit. But fruit is full of sugar. Yet it doesn't make you fat if you gorge on fruit. 

On some diets, smoothies are not allowed, or restricted. They basically allow you to gorge even more on fruit than usual - instead of having a banana and an apple and maybe a few grapes and being totally satisfied, you could have a banana, an apple, some orange juice, some mango, papaya, kiwi and Apple juice and still feel less satisfied at the end because you didn't mechanically chew it. 

But unless you have a real medical reason, I'd not avoid eating fruit. I was absolutely fucking shocked at how much sugar is in a 500ml bottle of ribena, a popular kids drink. 

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/ribena-blackcurrant-500ml?langId=44&amp;storeId=10151&amp;krypto=3/Zg/HP/HOrQjAXCTJZGnI/jn55s6FNeXv958jgZDAln2/bVcPrJNH/vJ5nMYhzyD2UhzmAU+qMUZbSgRaLB5OVxUPWHPT1ACi8oZTMKDABNpsk2ppr4k74WNGCVNTlJQez53V3XCJgSo9gYqDcr/D0UP9lgxe0PXDWdeJMvDfs=&amp;ddkey=http:gb/groceries/ribena-blackcurrant-500ml

10 teaspoons of sugar in a bottle! 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Im fructose intolerant. Spent a total of 9 hours in Guys hospital taking breath tests for fructose, lactose and lactulose last year. Each test was 3 hours long :/ 

Got another one this month to see if a bacterial infection in my gut has cleared up after 8 months of antibiotics! I'll put em out of business! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    skunkwerx said:
    Im fructose intolerant. Spent a total of 9 hours in Guys hospital taking breath tests for fructose, lactose and lactulose last year. Each test was 3 hours long :/ 

Got another one this month to see if a bacterial infection in my gut has cleared up after 8 months of antibiotics! I'll put em out of business! 

Do your guts swell up like you have food poisoning and you get lethargic and ill like lactose intolerance?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Dominic said:
    I think all this sugar thing is a load of rubbish ............in a year they'll be telling you to eat more sugar
    modern nonsense.

It is certainly good to be sceptical, but there is plenty of good information out there about it, and actually, has been since the 70's. So the problems of metabolic syndrome have ben understood for decades, but the causes of that haven't. They were actually blamed on fats for decades because the correlation was there, but it was also there with sugar. Fat looked a more likely candidate over a set of seven countries, it fitted perfectly.

The problem then though is that you get countries like France (and actually a lot of others), with high levels of saturated fats intake and the lowest levels of heart disease.

So the problem (metabolic diseases) have been known about for a long time, but the evidence that was used to jump to the conclusion that saturated fats caused it seems was "modern nonsense", and the actual culprit from a scientific (or theoretical) point of view, but more importantly from a statistical point of view points to sugar. It doesn't mean there are not safe levels of sugar (and carbs which convert to sugar), and no doubt those levels will change over time, but if you are going to be sceptical, ensure you are sceptical about the saturated fats being the cause at least as much as sugar!

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3529
    Everything is bad for you, to say something is ''good'' for you is nonsense. Sugar, salt, fat, oil , all bollocks.
    Look at Jamie Oliver promote olive oil, he fucking drowns his food in it, that's not good for you.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • My Dad had high blood triglycerides (heart attack waiting to happen). He took my advice to reduce sugar (his doctor was cynical) and his triglycerides became normal again (doctor was amazed). He is a total convert to the low-sugar lifestyle!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72512

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    robgilmo said:

Look at Jamie Oliver promote olive oil, he fucking drowns his food in it, that's not good for you.
    The Mediterranean diet is high fat but the people seem to do well on it.  At least that's the olive oil myth

But idon't look to Oliver for health advice, he is a chef, not a doctor
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23023
    Love fruit. But fruit is full of sugar. Yet it doesn't make you fat if you gorge on fruit. 

It's certainly true that nearly all of the calorific content in fruit comes from sugar, but most fruit isn't actually high in sugar - because it's mostly water.

100g of strawberries is a reasonable amount to eat, but it's only 6g of carbs/sugar.  Alternatively you could have one heaped teaspoon of strawberry jam.  I love jam, but I know which I'd choose.

I'm diabetic but I still eat some fruit, mostly berries and citrus fruits.  I do avoid things like pineapple and mango which have a higher sugar content.  And I don't drink fruit juices or eat dried fruit.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746

Sambostar said:
    but I avoid too much sugar because I've barely got enough teeth left to eat, although that reminds me, I have to buy some listerine on recommendation.
    My dad has lots of fillings because his generation was raised on sugar.  He used to add sugar to everything

I went to the dentist a few months back, first time in 18 years.  My teeth are absolutely fine.  I don't add excess sugar to anything.

i am just getting in there before you make any racial comments.... I think it's generational rather than genetic ;)

natural fruit sugars are fine if fine if you can accept they exist.  this means fruit can be both healthy and full of sugar ... :o