pedal connectors for mini pedal stability ?

What's Hot
JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
using a variety of mini format pedals on pedaltrain board - finding my clumsy footswitching moves these pedals too often - could be poor velcro but tried variety of brands now n eventually same happens .. 

so considering using pedal connectors instead of short lava cable / george l's etc - to help stabiise the mini pedals im using - any recommendations to retain a quality signal path ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited March 2017
    The trouble with pedal connectors is  that they destroy the jack sockets precisely because they move when you press the pedals. Would zip ties work to keep the pedals in their places?

You could always look at one of the mini boards by @CustomPedalBoards ;
    http://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/product/mini-board/
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    my board is mix of formats / shapes - mini through to bigger tc / strymon units .. so a dedicated mini board is not an option , 

take onboard your feedback re potential damage using pedal connectors .

how are others fixing there mini units on PT style boards ?

• MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    Have you used/come across dual lock?

https://www.moddiy.com/products/3M™-Dual-Lock™-Reclosable-Fastener.html?setCurrencyId=6&gclid=CPS4wZ_1utICFU6eGwodGkAEpg

Kinda like velcro but only has one side as apposed to velcro having rough and smooth. Also it's slightly more expensive thans velcro but much much stronger. I've never had any problems with sliding pedals and you would need to play football with a pedal for it to detach.

Hope this helps

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    +1 Dual Lock.  I had a 10 pedal board once, all using Dual Lock, I could pick up the whole thing grabbing one pedal.

Didn't do it as a routine obviously, but you get what I mean.

Maybe it's the nature of the beast with small pedals but worth a try.
    I'll look into dual lock - problem with small format pedals on pedaltrain style boards is reduced surface area of contact as pedal straddles the slats if that makes sense ..
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I had an Xotic ep booster for a while that you had to hit straight on or it tried to topple over. On my pedaltrain if I have a micro pedal on (currently a Lovepedal Babyface) it usually ends up on a pedal riser on the back row as that is less problem with the slats ( but defeating the object of having a micro pedal). This kinda thing:

https://bobblepic.com/images/2017/03/03/IMG_1108.jpg

True bypass looper so you don't have to touch the micro pedals/have them in landscape on the pedaltrain?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Im looking at a bit of diy to get round this issue - I have a looper but its a sledgehammer etc 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    For mooer I took the rubber backing off and then used 1 big piece of dual lock. Pretty strong.

Other idea would be to mount them on a bigger metal plate then attach that to the pt.

Other idea would be to mount them on a bigger metal plate then attach that to the pt.
    The bicycle chain method could be used to screw them onto a piece of wood and then have that Velcro backed. That will mean the pedals are held down at their corners and the bit of wood can be big enough to cover the slats better (I'm assuming you won't want to try to screw pedals directly into the Pedaltrain). I've read the chain method doesn't work on tc mini pedals as apparently they have weird proprietary mini screws holding them together. Google pic:

https://bobblepic.com/images/2017/03/04/IMG_1109.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    Dual Lock for sure
    Red ones are better. 

The bicycle chain method could be used to screw them onto a piece of wood and then have that Velcro backed. That will mean the pedals are held down at their corners and the bit of wood can be big enough to cover the slats better (I'm assuming you won't want to try to screw pedals directly into the Pedaltrain). I've read the chain method doesn't work on tc mini pedals as apparently they have weird proprietary mini screws holding them together. Google pic:

https://bobblepic.com/images/2017/03/04/IMG_1109.jpg

are there suitable bike chain styles for micro pedals - screws on the ones I have are on the tiny side ?
    What was Johnny Shredfreak that became Pedalstuff that did all those pedal link things aimed at guitarists seems to have disappeared :cry: 
    Some people seem to use galvanised band (or fixing band) as an alternative. Doesn't look quite as neat but it's pretty cheap . Quick google brings up products like Simpsons strong tie which has alternate small and large screw holes and is a fiver for 10 metres. You'd need to buy some fixing screws as well and know you've got something you can cut the band with. 
    This is more trouble than I've ever been to  but the bike chain method comes up from time to time so I'm sure someone on here knows. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    You could also just add bike chain links to the sides as stablizing feet rather than screwing them into anything. I think a bmx/singlespeed chain would have the biggest pins, and a newer 10-11 speed mtb or road chain should have the smallest pins to fit smaller screw diameters.
  • The only mini pedals I haven't been able to use bike chain links with are the Rowins (screws too short). 
  • +1 for Dual Lock, never had an issue with mine (tc polytune mini and hof mini) split 50/50 over the rails on a Pedaltrain - solid as a rock
  • I find this stuff sticks like a rock. A mate broke a screwdriver trying to prise a pedal off a board the wrong way. It is possible to remove/add pedals but this stuff is tough!

http://www.thegigrig.co.uk/pedalboard-tape-c2x15357232