Creative finishes, and other refurbish questions...on an Airline copy

thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9953
edited March 2017 in Making & Modding
https://i.imgur.com/IJjNy8r.jpg

Right then... I have the above guitar, which I've been trying unsuccessfully to sell. So the current option is give it to a charity shop, or do something with it.

My questions for you guys are:

What cool alternative finishes could I do on it? Copper paint? Chalk paint? Acrylic murals on it? Just not spray paint as I'm rubbish with that, and not wudtone as I don't want to see the wood. Is there a plastic effect finish?

Is there somewhere that sells 25.5" scale necks with a tuner layout that would fit a standard Gibson Gforce tuner thing as I have one spare? Be even better if the headstock could be shaped how I want it (allowing for the aforementioned tuners of course)

Would also like to replace pickups with something Airline/Supro sounding for the bridge and a standard Tele style humbucker in the neck, but that will probably need its own separate research unless anybody has any tips on the bridge one.

Think that's it for now. I have that paint stripper that's good for stripping paint (i can't for the life of me remember what it's called) and a scraper, a garage where I could rig some hanging space up. Thinking it'll be a bit of a trigger's broom but it is an interesting body shpae and has a (imitation) bigbsy so could be fun to do up to something useful

Thanks

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12445
    never seen an Airline copy before, where was it from? I like it and would buy if I had the readies
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited March 2017
    maybe give it to a hard-up local school (if you are only going to kill it for the pleasure) & start from fresh with a cheap project base you like most of. at least start facing in the direction you want to go, even if you lose your way at a later date.

as jb said, i've never seen a copy either, so surprised no one wanted to buy. i'm broke but it's interesting enough i would have thought someone with disposable & curiosity would have taken it.
    & to be fair, it's got to sound better than the shitty fibreglass originals.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9953
    edited March 2017
    It probably will end up in a charity shop or sold for charity, it needs some work doing on it (the electrics are a bit hummy) so a school wouldn't really be in a position to do that.

There are loads of decent copies of them (Eastwood airline) but this one is not great, just OK. Only the body and trem would probably remain. But nowhere sells bodies that shape so being a new project like it would not be possible.

And by the way @vale I have a resoglass airline and think it sounds delightful, albeit it was built from a kit last year so not an original one
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited March 2017
    I think it needs to be covered in furry material to get the full ZZ Top effect.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9953
    Rox said:

The guitar or my face?
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Rox said:

The guitar or my face?
    Both.  Why not go the full Top?