How many amps do you really need, and would you miss them if they were gone?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I recently bought a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb 25w, and the cleans are good enough that I'm strongly contemplating selling my 65 DRRI.

I really love the Fender amp but for what I do (home playing and rehearsal/jams, no gigs yet) keeping the Deluxe Reverb for playing in stereo feels self-indulgent.

I also have a Fender Machete head that I bought on a whim that the seller said he'd buy back, so selling both would leave me with £ stored away for future, and it seems like the way to go.

I can very much get by on just the one amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3217
    I have found the solution is fairly simple. Keep the couple that you need for gigs, as with guitars always aspire to having that one extra than you currently have and in the meantime make sure the circle of friends you keep are encouraged to buy new gear regularly and often. That way you can always borrow something. :)
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    I only have the one (at the mo...) 
    A 65 Reissue Princeton, with an upgraded output transformer and celestion gold. 

I'm gassing for some tweed though or something based on a deluxe or super. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2244
    Vox AC4
    Matchless Lightning
    Bad Cat Black Cat 30 

As you can see there's a pattern forming. I do have a ZVex Nano which is the non Vox alternative coupled with a Unleash if I need it. I do wander to Fender and Marshall sometimes but I always come back the the Vox type amp. The 3 give me different volume and transport options. I'd like to get rid of the Vox for a Matchless mini or similar but its British Racing Green. 
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    I guess I need two, I have five. 
    Don't touch that dial.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1466
    I produce records for a living so I need a variety of amps - at the moment I have

Bad Cat Black Cat 30 head
    3rd Power British Dream mkII head
    Louis Electric Columbia Reverb
    Budda Superdrive 45 head
    Magnatone Single V head
    Ampeg SVT head
    Bad Cat 2x12 cab
    65 Amps 2x12 cab
    3rd Power 2x12 cab
    Hoffnine 1x12 cab
    Cornford 4x12 cab
    Ampeg 4x10 cab

For playing in the house we also have a couple of those wee Vox Mini 5 things which are great fun.

These cover all the bases I need (blackface, tweed, AC30, plexi, high-ish gain, bass) for recording. Live, I've started using the 3rd Power head with the Hoffnine 1x12 and I love this set up. I'm not sure I could do without any of these amps but if I could keep only one (and volume wasn't an issue) it would be the Bad Cat. I think.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

2 needed - one main for gigging, and a backup for if its misbehaving.

currently have 3 ...I'd like lots more to play, hence having a helix inbound.

hoping to sell 2 on and have helix + power amp as a backup. or it may become main amp. who knows.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I need a gig amp and a rehearsal/home combo.
    I am lucky in that I never sold my 60s marshall head and it sounds divine, but there are places it won't go so I have a HRD combo which looks smart and does everthing needed live.
    practice combo is 20w marshall combo with line out and goes whisper quite to small pub gigs loud.
    Do I fancy more, why yes since you ask a PR and maybe an AC15 but I can't justify the space for them except out in the garage which means they are not ready to plug into so would get less use. I'm quite content with what I have really.

• sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    MJW Roadstar combo for everything. In the house using power scaling and miked up at gigs. Have a Roland JC22 as a back up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    I have a Matamp GT1 for live gigs and a Quilter Tone Block for home playing and rehearsals. That's all I need!
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Currently 2.

Mesa preamp in a small rack of doom, with an Engl 50w combo as back up. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.