SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB "Boutique" Fender Princeton (or Similar)

What's Hot
eric_eric_ Frets: 4
edited March 2017 in Amps £
Interested in picking up something along the lines of a Rift PR18, Allen Sweet Spot, Headstrong Lil King etc. Doesn't have to be an entirely faithful reproduction. Anyone looking to part with something that might suit? Also interested in recommendation for any other AA1164-based amps. Thanks!

Update - Would also consider a silverface Princeton Reverb or a used Princeton Reverb '65 Reissue 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    Eli Abbott has one. http://www.abbottsmusic.co.uk/ I have a tweed deluxe and champ by him. Great bits of kit.
  • eric_eric_ Frets: 4
    longshins said:
    Eli Abbott has one. http://www.abbottsmusic.co.uk/ I have a tweed deluxe and champ by him. Great bits of kit.
    Hadn't heard of them. Thanks for the suggestion - will check them out.

Thanks - yes I spotted that one alright. Part of me is thinking I should just pull the trigger on it. However I've read that it's relatively dark sounding (albeit next to other clones like the Sweet Spot) and also Music Radar's review mentions only a very small section of the reverb dial being usable. A great sounding reverb with a wide usable range is really important for me. A "dwell" option is also desirable which the Headstrong does not offer. Maybe I'm being too fussy though...
  • I had (and loved) a Headstrong Lil King, great at home and in a band mix, surprisingly loud 12 watts, much more so than the Fender Princeton reissue (doesn't have the Fender's flub either). The louder Lil King S would be a great combo for any situation. 
    I had (and loved) a Headstrong Lil King, great at home and in a band mix, surprisingly loud 12 watts, much more so than the Fender Princeton reissue (doesn't have the Fender's flub either). The louder Lil King S would be a great combo for any situation. 
    Thanks for the feedback. Did you find the amp dark at all? How did you find the reverb? 
  • I never found it dark at all, it's not bright like some of these amps can be but there is plenty of treble if you need it. Sadly though the reverb is typically huge and useless past about 2! A different reverb tank could be an easy and cheap fix. The online demos for this amp aren't great, it's much better in person 
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited March 2017
    I am toying (I'm a bit torn) with selling my MJW Twang King. Pics here.

Spec-wise it's a Princeton clone done as a head so has a 3 spring short tank rather than a 2 spring long (it would have been too close to the transformers with a long).

The matching cab is a 2x10 with a pair of Eminence Legend alnico 2x10 speakers. I went for these because they're like Jensens but they don't lunch themselves with the same regularity.

I am only contemplating selling this because it isn't being used as much as it should, and I could do with some cash. That said, it'll take a grand for me to part with it.

@menamestom has had a good play with it and compared it directly to his Fender Princeton. He could give you an unbiased opinion of it. Personally I fucking love it. It's like a Princeton plus. But for the reasons above, I am contemplating sellage...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Check out Klone valve amps based in Germany. I have his Princeton reverb model and it's really great. The extreme brightness of the fender reissue is tamed and it's fully handwired. Very usable reverb. Mine came with a 12" wgs speaker fitted and sounds great!
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • This is one of the best princeton type amps I've played..

http://www.gartoneamps.co.uk/jewel.html

Incredible tone and break up..
    juansolo said:

Spec-wise it's a Princeton clone done as a head so has a 3 spring short tank rather than a 2 spring long (it would have been too close to the transformers with a long).

The matching cab is a 2x10 with a pair of Eminence Legend alnico 2x10 speakers. I went for these because they're like Jensens but they don't lunch themselves with the same regularity.

I am only contemplating selling this because it isn't being used as much as it should, and I could do with some cash. That said, it'll take a grand for me to part with it.

@menamestom has had a good play with it and compared it directly to his Fender Princeton. He could give you an unbiased opinion of it. Personally I fucking love it. It's like a Princeton plus. But for the reasons above, I am contemplating sellage...
    I'm leaning more toward a combo for convenience but I'll keep it in mind. Any clips or anything online?

Thanks for both of those last two suggestions Rexter and Joe - have emailed both companies. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5279
    Louis Electric Columbia Reverb
  • challenchallen Frets: 51
    I have a Lil' King S and I love it. The reverb is a bit sensitive but when you know where you like it then its easy to dial in. I wouldn't say that it was a dark sounding amp at all. The perfect grab and go combo for most gigs in my opinion.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    eric_ said:
    juansolo said:

I'm leaning more toward a combo for convenience but I'll keep it in mind. Any clips or anything online?

Thanks for both of those last two suggestions Rexter and Joe - have emailed both companies. 
    Sadly not, I thought for a while the ones we recorded with Tom were on the Twang, but they were on his Princeton. Bit of a bugger that.
  • I have a Victoria Regal II which can be set up with the same valves and rectifier as the Princeton. It has a 15" Eminence Legend, vale driven reverb and tremolo.  A friend has a Princeton and I tried a side by side test. Obviously did not sound identical but I think this was mainly due to the larger speaker
  • @Treewig1 had a Morgan pr12. Used to be my amp and it's great. Only sold it as I had the chance to buy a vintage Princeton reverb which I grabbed
    Thanks for the suggestions. Been looking everywhere online. Even considering getting one in from the USA but think here might be my best bet. Juansolo - if that was a combo I'd take it. Trying to move away from a head and cab set up though.