Tru Oil

What's Hot
Looking to finish a ash Strat body in this. Sanded ,sealed, grain filling next. How much Tru Oil do you reckon to finish? It's in 3oz and 11oz bottles. Aerosols seem decent value. Anyone any experience? Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3324
    Pretty sure 3oz did my thinline jazzmaster body and neck with some left to spare. Built it up in lots of thin rubbed on layers, buffed out and then reapplied, got a great finish. 
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Ah cool! 3oz didn't seem like a lot. Cheers dude!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Yes - excepting that it doesn't last for ever once opened - 3oz should do easily 2 guitars and maybe even 3.  Never used the aerosols, though.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    Yep, a little goes a long way. 3oz will be fine. Less than half a bottle for my Tele (12 coats)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I was gonna buy a bigger bottle to be on the safe side so good information. Thanks chaps! I'll get a 3oz bottle. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2620
    tFB Trader

Yes id agree with the others.. It goes a long way and it does start to degrade a bit once opened...

Also just in case you didn't know, some safety advice...   If you use some old rags to wipe the oil on  DO NOT just throw them in the bin when you have finished while they are wet..  Its been known that while the oil is drying on the rags it can cause a chemical reaction and it starts to heat up and can start a fire if a load of them are piled together...

When you have finished with the rag leave it out and lay it out flat to dry, and once they are dry you can then throw them in the bin... I have now taken to using paper towels like kitchen roll..  and once I am done with a piece I flush it down the loo  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Paper towels it is. Cheers man
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2620
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    sawyer said:
    Paper towels it is. Cheers man

Just make sure they are nice and thick..  If they are too thin it just starts to break up all over the finish..  Like toilet paper just leaves bits all over the finish. You may want to try on a test piece of wood first
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2354
    tFB Trader
    I use lint free cotton from Liberon, I cut it up in to small pieces use them once.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/liberon-cotton-rags-ax21801

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3324
    edited March 2017
    Or use the cheapest lint free (ish) cloth on the market...an old t-shirt cut up into squares.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16897
    I use old work shirts for application of oils.  Old t-shirts are better for buffing stages. 

sounds like I am being daft, but I usually have plenty of both.

• SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    I use a roll of J cloth, the bog standard supermarket stuff, it's pretty much lint free if you fold the cut edges in. 
    Also store your bottle upside down if you're leaving it for any length of time, the air in the bottle will form a film on the top of the oil, making it a bitch to get out plus it'll deposit small lumps from the edges of the broken film... I learned this the hard way!