Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favourite 'obscure' band?

What's Hot

Comments

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    Philly_Q said:
    I hate trying to name obscure bands, because I'm sure my obscure is somebody else's household name.  Even if only in their household.

Totally agree. When I read the OP the first thing that sprang to mind was I always thought Matchbox Twenty were massively popular / mainstream, but it all depends. If you've not heard of them, they're obscure to you.

Some bands come and go, so are maybe obscure now but weren't so much back at the time. It's hard to pin down exactly what "obscure" is to be honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyp said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I hate trying to name obscure bands, because I'm sure my obscure is somebody else's household name.  Even if only in their household.

Totally agree. When I read the OP the first thing that sprang to mind was I always thought Matchbox Twenty were massively popular / mainstream, but it all depends. If you've not heard of them, they're obscure to you.

Some bands come and go, so are maybe obscure now but weren't so much back at the time. It's hard to pin down exactly what "obscure" is to be honest.

Agreed. I wish many mainstream bands were obscure, i.e. Nickelback.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Big Wreck
    Jellyfish
    The Wildhearts
    Silver Sun
    Frost*
    The Dowling Poole
    Jackdaw4
    Honeycrack
    The Hellacopters
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    edited March 2017
    Oof... Wildhearts, Silver Sun and Honeycrack - now there's some names from my youth.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Struggling to think of bands I like to listen to that not a lot of people have heard of to be honest...

One from waaaaaay back (but still touring/writing/recording today is 'Senser'. Also like a band called 'The Suburban Dirts' (check them out if you get a chance).

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843

I bought The Sewing Room's "And Nico" album way back when. It's still one of my favourite albums yet I know nothing about the band, even if they released anything else. I've never met anyone else who has heard of them.

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474

Army of anyone, with the two brothers from stone temple pilots and the singer from filter 

This is relevant to my interests. 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    andyp said:
    Philly_Q said:

I class them as obscure as I spent most of my twenties responding to the question 'who?' when people asked who my favourite band was :) 
    Yeah, that's kinda what I was meaning too. :)

It's often amazing how big some bands are in the US and are pretty much unknown over here too.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6136
    Little Hurricane

Dear Cloud

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not 'obscure' by my standards but probably unheard of by most on here:

Lightning bolt
    Ween
    The seeds
    Sloth
    Black moth super rainbow
    Acid mothers temple
    Bongwater
    Floor
    King gizzard and the lizard wizard
    Baptist generals
    Brainiac
    Agoraphobic nosebleed

i could go on for yonks, but they are ones that spring to mind. Though tbh m not really into very much 'popular' music at all.
  • ANOTHER Jellyfish fan here.

The first band that sprang to my mind are Reuben. One of my favourite bands, I know there are a few fans on here, but if you're into heavy punky alt-rock have a listen. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Saw Murrumbidgee Whalers at Greenbelt in the late 80s / early 90s and bought this double-sided single off them - amazed to find it on YouTube, and with >1k views! REM-style jangle-pop, I think the songwriting is fantastic and they were great live.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Not 'obscure' by my standards but probably unheard of by most on here:

Lightning bolt
    Ween
    The seeds
    Sloth
    Black moth super rainbow
    Acid mothers temple
    Bongwater
    Floor
    King gizzard and the lizard wizard
    Baptist generals
    Brainiac
    Agoraphobic nosebleed

i could go on for yonks, but they are ones that spring to mind. Though tbh m not really into very much 'popular' music at all.
    Which Sloth? US or uk? 
  • @Reverend ;The US sloth. Thier recent stuff has been crap, but i used to have about 95% of thier early discography, which is mahhooossive.

I think ive only heard one song from the UK Sloth.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22931
    Big Chief

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33800
    Psychic TV.
  • I dont know if these are 'obscure' groups - but here is some stuff I've found recently - 

Some tasty German funk....

This incredible slice of 'baggy' from New Zealand.....

Or this band - Wand - seriously prolific, brilliant live, mad fuzz tones, quality alt guitar playing.....

Or some Danish psych/blues rock....

Admittedly its not new - but I recently discovered this Austrian avant dub band - 

Do people know half Peruvian/Cockney percussion kings Flamingods?....

Also some other stuff I've got into recently - the Sand Pebbles, Sunns, Silk Rhodes, Kikagaku Moyo, The Holydrug couple, Fascinator, Red nails, Black Market Karma and London producer The Bug. 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    MC5
    hell, the only reason I picked up an lp was the album cover and the cool name. What a discovery. Kick out the jams, ramblin rose. My vote for most important but relatively unknown band of the 20th Century. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    As good as the MC5 are, you can't call a band that's sold that many T-shirts obscure.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.