Interesting look ?¿?

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
Humbucking Gold Foil pickups, hmmm, nice and different look, sound pretty cool too...

I saw Marc @Mojopickups thread on his new "Dual Foils", and wondered what they might look like in situ.

@WezV was asking about sizing too.  I think they are quite shallow, which would make them even more interesting to me.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/97631/introducing-the-dual-foil-humbucking-gold-foil#latest

The guitars below are made by Ronin Marari, I picked them up on a Tim Pierce video.

http://roninguitars.com/mirari

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/541/19789991231_f2533b347f_z.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1542/25355044465_057f0e7997_z.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    David Torn at the Fretboard Journal !!!

Duration 3:57

Fryette Aether Amp Part 2 - In the Shop with David Torn

Duration 5:54

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dan Phelps

Live Atmospheres: Dan Phelps, James McAlister, Steve Moore

Duration 28:55

"Mirari Safari" - Ronin Instruments Mirari exploration.

Duration 5:01

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I dunno what the point of this thread is but thanks for posting, some interesting sounds.

• valevale Frets: 1052
    thanks for posting the pics & link @ChrisMusic ;. & congrats to ronin. they are pretty sweet, even in gold (& i'm usually a strictly black guitars only player).
    i would probably want to flip the pickguard the right way around tho. it has a functional use that i appreciate, even if to some it's just decoration to be stuck anywhere.

i generally find a lot of modern small-run & custom-build stuff either too blatantly retro or trying too hard to be gratiuitously out-there & different. but this particular design in these particular finishes falls neatly between those two poles to my taste.

we definitely need a raffle for one of these.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    edited March 2017
    vale said:

I generally find a lot of modern small-run & custom-build stuff either too blatantly retro or trying too hard to be gratiuitously out-there & different, but this particular design in these particular finishes falls neatly between those two poles to my taste.
    Completely agree.

Although this colour is totally cool...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8354/8376849897_a10674e721_c.jpg

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2017
    That's quite nice - I like the gold one - but why on earth would you put a scratch plate ABOVE the strings...that's useless & illogical!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    Voxman said:
    That's quite nice - I like the gold one - but why on earth would you put a scratch plate ABOVE the strings...that's useless & illogical!
    Thank you.  Again, someone poses the obvious question and gets to the crux of the matter.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    Voxman said:

Nevertheless...I love it! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Love these guitars! Was introduced to them via David Torn, would life a pink one, but they are Expensive ;)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    For me personally, I'm not keen on the size of those pickups. Something that looked like that but was the size of a regular HB would be very appealing visually for me, although obviously wouldn't sound the same.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Voxman said:
    Design over functionality. Although, I can now get a guitar I can play whilst wearing my favourite barbed wire cufflinks.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Why put a scratchplate anywhere on a guitar unless it was absolutely necessary ie: Stratocaster?
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I totally LOVE the look of a bevelled-top Strat! That's awesome! The p/ups sound good too...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    Apparently John Shanks put Tim Pierce onto the Ronin guitars, I'll dig out the video with John's guitars for y'all...

Well @Veganic , the main reason why I posted this was the visuals of the hum bucking Gold Foils, they are substantially bigger than regular hum buckers.  I was interested in what sort of reception the difference in aesthetics would get.

Since coming back to guitar, it seems to me that guitar players are a rather conservative bunch nowadays, so I was intrigued, especially on the GF aesthetic issue.  I rather like the overall style and vibe of the guitar too, although I have to agree with @vale that the scratch plate seems to be trying a little too hard to be different for it's own good.  Although strangely enough, I don't really mind it on this design, and that's coming from someone who doesn't like the batwing guard on most SGs much (I prefer the simple small '60s guard THB).

Marc at Mojo Pickups has just launched his take on Gold Foils in a hum bucking configuration, which prompted a bit more research.  I'll dig a pic out and post it in this discussion.  I know @p90fool has used Marc's single coil Gold Foil to excellent effect in his LP, and it sounds great, so this got my curiosity going.

So it is interesting to gauge peoples reactions to this...

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    @ChrisMusic thanks for the explanation.

They look cool in a retro way.  

edited March 2017
    Marc at Mojo Pickups has just launched his take on Gold Foils in a hum bucking configuration, which prompted a bit more research.  I'll dig a pic out and post it in this discussion.  I know @p90fool ;; has used Marc's single coil Gold Foil to excellent effect in his LP, and it sounds great, so this got my curiosity going.
    The hum bucking versions in the videos I posted sound great to me and definitely have that Gold Foil signature, and are coil splittable too.

Here is the pic of HB GF and a Wide Range Humbucker from Marc at Mojo's thread in the "Made in the UK" section for comparison.  (edit: oops it's wide range* not normal size !)  The wide range hum buckers themselves are larger than normal, and I assume that Marc's version is the same as the original Fender ones.

http://www.mojopickups.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Dual-Foil-WRH-size.jpg

Rig Rundown - Bon Jovi's John Shanks, Phil X, and Hugh McDonald
    7th Mar 2017

Ronin bit around 25 mins in and again at 30:40 in.  It is an interesting video all through though...
    Boy does John like his sounds wet !
    A bit of stuff on controversial LP "replicas" too, but when you are touring why risk a genuine '59?

Phil X at 53 mins in, with his "torched" guitar at 56m, nice collection of sig Framus's (Framii?) including my fave green sparkly one !

Oh, and should you really let a drummer design a guitar !?!

Eventually there are five minutes of bass and Hugh McDonald to round it all off... (simple rig or poor cousin?)

Duration 1 hour 20 mins