NYXL strings on a Strat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2017
    Anyone want my single pack 10-46? £7 PPG & posted? Paid nearly £15 for these at GG
    Am I allowed to do this on a non-classifieds post?
    EDIT:SOLD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6871
    As a Mechanical Engineer with Materials knowledge- I fail to see how any material that is working in the elastic region (such as a guitar string) has a bump in its frequency response! The modulus of steel is pretty close to 210 GPa so they will all elastically deform by the same amount for a given load. The diameter will affect the feel, but not the type of steel used!

Id love the string experts to tell me how these strings defy physics!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    @mrkb does the type of steel have no effect on the interaction with the pickups, which is what creates the sound .

On an acoustic guitar the composition of the bronze strings (i.e. whether phosphor is added or not) has an effect on frequency response so presumably it is true of steel too (e.g. whether chromium is added)
  • alvynmcqalvynmcq Frets: 11
    I put a set of 11s on my classic vibe tele yesterday and love the feel of them. It had Gibson brite wires 9s on it and I hated them, the nyxl are much easier to bend even with the higher gauge. Not sure how that works.
  • winstonywinstony Frets: 29
    Love them ,on all my guitars , 11. 49 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26620
    Well, bugger. Broke a top E the other day, so I bought another set thinking it'd be handy to have some spares and replaced it. Just broke another one. This is on a guitar on which I've never, ever broken a string.

Looks like I'm going back to Elixirs :(
    <space for hire>
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Well, bugger. Broke a top E the other day, so I bought another set thinking it'd be handy to have some spares and replaced it. Just broke another one. This is on a guitar on which I've never, ever broken a string.

Thank you for concluding my product testing.  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Well, bugger. Broke a top E the other day, so I bought another set thinking it'd be handy to have some spares and replaced it. Just broke another one. This is on a guitar on which I've never, ever broken a string.

Message D'Addario about that, doesn't seem right to me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I considered that but I doubt they'll be able to do much other than send me another set, and I can't help them because I don't have the original packets (so I can't give them batch numbers or anything which might be useful to them).
    <space for hire>
  • Well, bugger. Broke a top E the other day, so I bought another set thinking it'd be handy to have some spares and replaced it. Just broke another one. This is on a guitar on which I've never, ever broken a string.

I considered that but I doubt they'll be able to do much other than send me another set, and I can't help them because I don't have the original packets (so I can't give them batch numbers or anything which might be useful to them).
    Yeah, that is weird, I've been using NYXLs on everything I own for about three years now and I've never broken one. Shame it didn't work out for you, mate.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    OK, thread resurrection time...for various reasons, I've decided to go up a gauge (10-52) for the first time...well, ever. Elixirs are too tension-y at that gauge, so I plumped for NYXLs to give them a second chance on the basis that these are less likely to break than the 9-46s I had before.

Surprisingly, I don't hate them. Low-end riffing and chugging feels a lot better and the stability is noticeable right away. While there's noticeably more tension than the 9-46 Elixirs, it only feels like going up half a gauge. What really surprised me is how much thicker the strings feel under my fingers, given that there's only 0.006" difference between the low E on the two sets.

I shall report back in if one goes.
    <space for hire>