What Mesa Boogie 1x12 combos do you like best?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
edited January 2018 in Amps
in the current range of Mesa Boogies that you have tried, what is your favourite 1x12 combo and why?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Currently using a mark 5:35 1 x 12. the 2 master volumes are independent of each other which works much better than the old boogie system of stacking volume 2 after volume 1.  EQ Is really good and the range of options on each channel is sensible.  The 3 wattage settings are useful - infact I gig it pretty much o. The 10 watt setting - downside is this is not a home use amp!  The biggest plus for me is that you can focus the mids on it to push you forward in the mix - a quality many rock amp manufacturers ignore (dare I say Friedman)

Yes it is like all boogies "complicated" but it repays an investment of time.  
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Sounds good, is there a boogie you would recommend that can be tamed for home use volumes?

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Sounds good, is there a boogie you would recommend that can be tamed for home use volumes?
    Lonestar Special - both channels can be set to 5 watts - it quietens down really well.

Clean channel is exceptional - the second channel covers quite a wide gain range from almost a clone of the clean channel through to 'classic rock' levels of drive - if you need more gain, a pedal will sort you out. And possibly the best spring reverb you'll ever hear.

Its probably still a little more complex than I'd ideally like - but pretty straight-forward compared to many Mesas. Probably the only amp they make which appeals to people who don't like Mesas....
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Mk.V 
    90w, 45w or 10w loads of variation between all nine modes. 
    Sounds ace at low volume too. 
    It really pushed through the mix when played live. 

I traded mine for something I couldn't pass up, but I'll have another one exactly the same in the future. 

It was very very heavy though. 

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited March 2017
    Having had 7 Mesas I'd like to cheat slightly and choose the MkV:25 head and Widebody open 1x12 cab. As much as I wanted to love my MkV I just couldn't bond with it - too heavy, fussy to dial in and just too loud for most of the situations I found myself using it in.

If it has to be a combo then the MkV:35 would probably be my choice. Love the LS range too though, and the Express 5:50+ I had was a great gigging amp.

I should note, my musings above only cover the currently in production Mesas. 
  • I bought a Rectoverb 25 combo recently and it sounds fantastic, incredibly versatile and the clean sounds are tremendous. Good enough to have me contemplating selling my Deluxe Reverb. The reverb on the Mesa is gorgeous.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I've not tried many 1x12 Mesa, but recently tried a Mkiii red stripe which was nice, but I'm in love with my Studio preamp, it's a wonderful clean, and the drive side is far beyond (driven) my wildest dreams  =)
    i used to own a Rocket 440 which was a great amp for bluesy break up and crunch, but the 4x10 je sons didn't really bring the thump I wanted, oddly through a 4x12 it sounded immense.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've not had many of the current line but:

Rectoverb 50 - sounded huge weighed a lot!
    Nomad 55 - despite the hate these get, I really enjoyed it, good all round, versatile amp.
    DC-3 - difficult to dial in but consistently great sounding.
    F30 - lovely compact package and good tones, cleans were maybe a touch flat.
    Stiletto Ace - incredible sounding 112 combo, all the best bits of Mesa and Marshall all rolled into one.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2017
    I'm not a big fan of Mesa Boogie amps but the Stiletto Ace seemed pretty good and I also quite liked the Lonestar.  But a lot of Mesa's I just find too dark with a tendency to over-power the guitar's natural tonal character so that whatever you plug in sounds pretty much the same.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72328
    richardhomer said:

Lonestar Special - 

Its probably still a little more complex than I'd ideally like - but pretty straight-forward compared to many Mesas. Probably the only amp they make which appeals to people who don't like Mesas....
    The Blue Angel is even more that - but they don't make it any more. No channel switching, no multiple modes, not even a master volume. It also has possibly the best clean sound and best reverb of any amp I've ever heard. I do slightly regret selling mine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I have a thiele 1x12 and its beautiful. Cleans are really nice.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2017
    I had the Express 5:50 2x12 but it wasn't until I sold it and tried the 1x12 version that I realised I'd probably picked the wrong model. I preferred the 1x12 it as it had a tighter sound, sounded better or more me and was a more manageable weight. These weren't the Plus ones which followed.

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Interesting thread - I was going to ask a similar thing. I don't need a new amp but GAS...
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    In terms of sound, it has to be the Electradyne - but that thing is too heavy, so it unfortunately was pretty useless to me and I regretfully had to sell it off. The Express 5:25+ is a great package deal: small, lightweight, good sound in all modes, solo boost, good footswitch and not too expensive (compared to other Mesa amps at least). Bandmate plays an old DC-5 that sounds really good too.
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    The Express 5:25+ works well at home volumes. The 5W setting is the most quiet one obviously, but the amp sounds best on the 15W setting - and this can be dialed down to neighbour-friendly volume levels too, no problem. It'll still sound good.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Honestly I'm surprised about the amount of comments about weight, it's never been a concern when buying an amp, does it sound good? Does it have the features I want? 
    Never thought, is it heavy?

it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Honestly I'm surprised about the amount of comments about weight, it's never been a concern when buying an amp, does it sound good? Does it have the features I want? 
    Never thought, is it heavy?

it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. 
    It would if you had a bad back
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    My Mk4 boogie was a harder lift than my Marshall 4x12 Cab, my back was never the same afterwards
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    Had a LSS until recently and it was superb at anything other than metal tones. Only bumped it for. 2x12 classic which has all the same but with the extra breadth that's comes from the additional speaker. Love them both. 
  • MK2 can't remember exactly which model, but also have fond memories of my old Maverick.