1964 Bassman Head - return or sell here?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72469
    For what it's worth - answering @TheMarlin's earlier question - this amp should be an AA864, the most desirable of the BF Bassman circuits. The production date is the 46th week of 1964, so after '864' (August '64), and the next variant is the AA165 (Jan '65). The circuit does appear to correspond to it at a quick look - the important characteristic is that the Normal channel (V3) doesn't go through the intermediate gain stage (V2), it goes straight to the phase inverter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7888
    A lot of the early AA864's had the GG6B power transformer, which gave it some great girth.  They just put them together using up the older parts...

Ive been after a 64 Tuxedo Bassman with the 6G6B transformer for a while.  Mercury Magnetics make great replacement transformers for the 63/64. 

If the OP wants to sell it as is, I'd be interested in It as a project. 
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    edited May 2017
    If the OP wants to sell it as is, I'd be interested in It as a project. 
    I think I want to get it restored and keep it, will let you know if I change my mind though @TheMarlin ;;
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7888
    edited May 2017
    Try it with the Mercury Magnetics 6G6B transformers.  
    They are period correct for early 64's.  These transformers have built in gain stages, very different to any other transformer Fender made.  
    Gives awesome tone. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    My own personal view, is that MM transformers are very expensive especially with the exchange rate at the moment, so by the time it is fitted and serviced (filter caps, screen grid resistors etc.), you end up spending much than the resale value of an original BF Bassman. Why not let someone like JPF, have a look and see if the existing O/P TX installation can't be tidied up, service it and play it for a while and see how you get on with it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bennyg85bennyg85 Frets: 64
    What happened to this Bassman?
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    I would stick with it, maybe dismantle it, try to clean up the chassis a little bit. Install an heyboer OT.

They're really cool amps.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Oh someone necrobumped the shit out of this thread, I’ve read this far to realise I’ve been time travelling.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    Yep, LONG gone i’m afraid! Sold it to an amp tech who buys amps that need work.