Bands having live 'ouch!' moments (and keeping them)

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I'm off work today and faffing around on t'interweb right now. As usual I stick YouTube on and have some live music chugging away through the day.

Anyway, I have an FM concert on right now (Canadian prog band), and I physically winced just now as the violinist took a solo. Boy was it waaaayy off, note choice and intonation. It's official concert footage as well, not amateur stuff. Truly awful.

Also recently, I got out a Dream theater EP to play in the car going to work. There was some long live track on it that I fancied hearing again. It fires up and .... the notes are just too high for James La Brie! He does this horrible forced shouty thing that seemed to fall a tad short of the note every time. Couldn't bear it, had to switch off after about a minute.

I'm also reminded of a third: One of my favourite live albums is Thomas Blug live in Raalte. It's a superb album, but at one point the bassist takes a solo, all is cool and groovy but then he loses his timing! Sounds very poor for a moment. If that was my album I think I'd have definitely fixed that bit in the studio later.

Any that make you wince?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Bloody hell, the violinist is at it again, gonna have to turn it off!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Angus young's first duckwalk was a result of falling over a cable...  the gimmick was kept, as well as uniform, which was as a result of going to band practice straight from school...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7809

The solo @ 1:10 is "interesting".

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Threads like this always make me feel better about the numerous times I've cocking up a live solo.

Still cringe when I think about it though.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Angus young's first duckwalk was a result of falling over a cable...  the gimmick was kept, as well as uniform, which was as a result of going to band practice straight from school...
    I read somewhere that the uniform thing is a myth. It is just a gimmick.
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Ritchie Blackmore, Mistreated Live last year in Germany, I was there, it has just been officially released. At the end of the solo there is a big mistake and Ritchie decided he couldn't be bothered to fix it in the studio :) 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    Peter Green - Black Magic Woman, live at the Boston Tea Party. 

About half way through the solo, he fucks up, then proceeds to absolutely monster it, as he's Peter Green. 

Around 1 min 20 if you fancy it. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Paul_C said:

The solo @ 1:10 is "interesting".

If I ever played that song, that version is so ingrained that I'd drop the same clam ;)

There's a horrific version of 'Beautiful Day' out there...couldn't find it.